vent piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering installing a pellet stove in my basement. The vent pipe will rise approx 4' from the stove and go horizontally through the wall where a woodburner used to go to a chimney. The chimney needs to be taken down as it is pulling away from the house and not safe to use. My question is what kind of pipe do I need on the inside and through the wall.

thanks,
Steve.

Just regular pellet vent pipe on both inside and out.

BTW, is the basement finished or not?

An L could be used, but a T with the cleanout cap is nicer to have on the back of the stove. Also need an appliance adapter between the stove and the T.

BTW, since your in Eastern Ohio, I HIGHLY recommend going to Kinsman Stoves or Brookfield Stoves. Ask for Eric....he's a forum member, and a great guy. Always gave me great prices on pipe parts.

http://kinsmanstoves.com/

Mac, Are you a fellow Buckeye?

Smitty, you'll probably find Eric at the Brookfield store, it's about 10 minutes from me and I often stop in just to say hi.
Give a call 1st and make sure he's there.
Eric will treat you right and answer any questions you have. Bring a biscuit for "pellet", the black lab puppy.

Eric sells Pro Pelletts, get a few bags and try them.
i burnt 3 tons last year and got 3 tons for this year,
I'm very happy with them

Steve, what stove are you getting? Be sure to post a picture after installation, we love pictures.
I got my vent pipe from Eric, he'll give you the best price.

rickwa said:
Mac, Are you a fellow Buckeye?

No, never lived there, but my parents and older sister lived there some years ago. My niece graduated from Ohio State.

smitty273 said:
thanks Chuck, don't have the stove yet, suppose to ship from VA tomorrow. Hope to run up tomorrow to see about vent pipe.

steve

Steve, tell "Uncle Eric" that Macman says Hi, then go grab a Bud Light from the fridge in the back for me.....LOL.

He really IS a great guy, and will treat you right.....very knowledgeable about pellet stoves.

And the ProPellets are a good pellet to burn. Like cms said above, grab a few bags to burn, and ask Eric where the nearest dealer is to your home (he provides ProPellets for a LOT of stove shops in that part of the state).

Oh, and give Pellet a scratch under the ear for me.

chuck, getting a refurbished Timber Ridge 55 TRP-10. Suppose to ship from VA tomorrow, hope to have the piping figured out before it gets here.

macman, will give Eric a hi from you, and a good scratch behind the ear to pellet.

thanks for all the help.

steve

smitty273 said:
chuck, getting a refurbished Timber Ridge 55 TRP-10. Suppose to ship from VA tomorrow, hope to have the piping figured out before it gets here.

macman, will give Eric a hi from you, and a good scratch behind the ear to pellet.

thanks for all the help.

steve

Steve, it might help to have some interior and exterior pics of where you plan to install the stove to show Eric.

Macman if you were close to me you might be drinking for free this summer, lol.

Pellet thanks you for his chewie. Sorry we could not chat longer, I am getting thirsty but had a couple customers.

Smitty just left here with a box full of goodies. If you are looking for Dura Vent Pellet Vent Tees he has them, cheap. He got a great deal on them but all I sell is Pellet Vent Pro.

Thanks Guys.
Eric

P.S. Chuck, Pellet is an all black GERMAN SHEPHERD. The is not lab in his blood.

Attachments

• IMG00053-20090812-1910.jpg
    IMG00053-20090812-1910.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 290
kinsman stoves said:
Macman if you were close to me you might be drinking for free this summer, lol.
Thanks Guys.
Eric

P.S. Chuck, Pellet is an all black GERMAN SHEPHERD. The is not lab in his blood.

Eric, like I said in another thread, I help the people that treat me right.....you are one of the really good guys on this forum.

BTW, Pellet turned into a BIG dog!! LOL Give him a scratch for me.

smitty273 said:
I am considering installing a pellet stove in my basement. The vent pipe will rise approx 4' from the stove and go horizontally through the wall where a woodburner used to go to a chimney. The chimney needs to be taken down as it is pulling away from the house and not safe to use. My question is what kind of pipe do I need on the inside and through the wall.

thanks,
Steve.
You are getting the same stove as me .I am quite happy with mine . The best pellets for this stove are Green label Lignetics ,if you can get them .I would pay more for them as you use less and it end up cheaper . The other brands that I have used give less heat and burn dirty . You also need to install the out side air kit with this stove .

macman, took pellet a rawhide bone, not the puppy I was expecting.

Eric set me up with I hope everything I need for the vent. the one thing I forgot to ask about was about the outside air piping. the stove comes with a kit but I think I'll need to add some more pipe to get it out of the basement. Any suggestions on type or size of pipe I should use for the air?

thanks.

Hard to say what you need for the OAK extra piping. Maybe give Eric a shout again, as he knows more about what your stove setup is now.

I think it is 1 7/8 but you should go bigger because of the length . I know the manual talks about that but I can't remember exactly what it said .

Status
Not open for further replies.