Vent temp gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbulator

Dec 2, 2011
Western PA
Any issues w/ using a meat thermometer as a temp gauge for outlet vent? Got one handy....could shove it in there and leave it...?

turbulator said:
Any issues w/ using a meat thermometer as a temp gauge for outlet vent? Got one handy....could shove it in there and leave it...?

It leaking would be my biggest fear. Your vent is double wall. You could seal the outside with High temp silicone. But it would leak into the internal cavity.

I did it on my woodstove (Condar probe thermo) but it will suck air into that point. Where a pellet stove has a positive pressure exhaust.

Thats my take anyways. Maybe on the outside of the house?

If your gonna drill some thing to stick a probe in, Do the vent cap and not the double wall. Safer I'd say and easier to seal!

Why you checking exhaust temps?

Yep.... I read it wrong. I have one in mine. I like to read output temps in everything. I have one about a foot about the top of the furnace. Drilled a very small hole and stuck it in 5" (middle of duct).

No problem doing that. Im interested in what your temps will be.

I tried it but it didn't work for me. It pointed to " Poulty Well Done"...

:)

DBCOOPER said:

Ha nice! Hopefully my local Lowes or Home Depot is open tomorrow... I want to get some duct insulation, and will stop somewhere and grab a meat thermo...

Thanks for the help!!

turbulator said:
sorry for the confusion... I meant stack temp in the duct not exhaust..
Ahhh! Sure no issues there! Drill a hole like dex said. When done just put a piece of aluminum tape over the hole. Also measure the temps upstars at the register and wee what your getting for heat loss/drop.

What temps you seeing?

turbulator said:
DBCOOPER said:

Ha nice! Hopefully my local Lowes or Home Depot is open tomorrow... I want to get some duct insulation, and will stop somewhere and grab a meat thermo...

Thanks for the help!!

For the $20 your gonna pay for a digital meat thermo. You can get an actual K-type thermocouple from Amazon in the $20-$40 range. Mine was $30 shipped (Cole Parmer). Just a thought. Super fast results. 5x faster than my Meat thermo.

Look in the BBQ stuff at HD. for a probe. Usually cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.