1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Venting a pellet stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MacKay, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacKay

MacKay Member

Loc:
    SW. Pennsylvania
    I have a venting question. I would like to install a pellet stove in a soon to be finished basement. The basement is completely below grade. I was looking into the Harman XXV because I could vent from the top then out through the wall. The main question I have is how high do I have to run the pipe above grade. And as a follow up, there is a window on the first floor right above that location, is it a problem?
    Derek

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IIFAST4U

IIFAST4U Member

Loc:
    Western, RI
    Check the Harman online manual. most of them cannot vent under a window it has to vent above or away. Also have to check bilding codes

Shawn
  3. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    They make snorkel kits, for that type of install. Minimum 18" above grade. You need to be a minimum 48" away from doors or windows.
  4. MacKay

MacKay Member

Loc:
    SW. Pennsylvania
    If I am required to be 48" away from windows and door, I won't be putting a decorative pellet stove in my basement. I don't have a spot where I have that clearance. I could potentially put in an add-on furnace if I were allowed to also vent into the chimney for the furnace.
  5. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    Well if you have those small type basement windows, you can actually vent straight out through that window. obviously blcoking it off. Also, you can not by code put more than one appliance in a flue.
  6. MacKay

MacKay Member

Loc:
    SW. Pennsylvania
    Basement windows are not a problem. It would be the first floor windows that would interfere. What is the danger of venting two appliances through the same chimney?
  7. Stilllife1

Stilllife1 New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    If you use outside air for the stove, you can terminate the vent 18 inches from a window.
  8. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    You should be able to get the owners manual, with venting instructions, online in a PDF format. You might also want to check out the instructions on Simpson's website. Your install sounds doable but it is a little more complicated than normal. I see you're in PA so you'll need to get the end of the vent above your normal snow line as well. It's likely that you'll need to run the pipe laterally, at an angle, once it exits the wall to achieve the clearance you need from the window before going vertical.
  9. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Backdrafting. No solid fuel appliances can share a flue, ever.
  10. roninnb

roninnb New Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick Canada
    You could go through the wall/window and then up the wall and vent above the roofline.
  11. bhishman

bhishman New Member

Loc:
    roch, ny
    Check building code. In my town you can replace a window that opens with a solid in place glass block window.
  12. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    • Follow NFPA 211 rules listed below for venting system termination location relative to windows and other openings in the dwelling.

o NFPA 211 (2003 ed.) Section 10.4 Termination: 10.4.5
    (1) The exit terminal of a mechanical draft system other than direct vent appliances (sealed combustion system appliances) shall be located in accordance with the following:

(a) Not less than 3 ft. (.91 m) above any forced air inlet located within 10 ft. (3.0m).

(b) Not less than 4 ft. (1.2 m) below, 4 ft. (1.2 m) horizontally from or 1 ft. (305 mm) above any door, window or gravity air inlet into any building.

(c) Not less than 2 ft. (0.61 m) from an adjacent building and not less than 7 ft. (2.1 m) above grade when located adjacent to public walkways.

• Distance between the termination opening and grade should be a minimum of 24 in. contingent on the grade surface below the termination. When determining the termination height above grade, consider snow drift lines and combustibles such as grass or leaf accumulation. In areas where significant snowfall is possible, the termination height must be sufficiently high to keep the termination free of snow accumulation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.