Venting a Regency Hampton GCI60 pellet insert through a prefab/zero clearance fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it be more expensive to run up the chimney? The cost of pipe? I dont really want the vent going through my exterior wall. I have about a 14' run to the top and the guy that i bought the stove from said hed give me pipe at cost. I got the stove used for $1600 so im sitting pretty dann good price wise on the build. Ill check outthe manual you postes a link to tomorrow. I know the Harman manual is pretty vague on install.

inkslanger said:
Why would it be more expensive to run up the chimney? The cost of pipe? I dont really want the vent going through my exterior wall. I have about a 14' run to the top and the guy that i bought the stove from said hed give me pipe at cost. I got the stove used for $1600 so im sitting pretty dann good price wise on the build. Ill check outthe manual you postes a link to tomorrow. I know the Harman manual is pretty vague on install.

To the top of my chase was over 25 feet, so yes the cost, but with just 14' either way is good.

I would recommend that you install an OAK (outside air kit) as well, and always test a few bags of pellets before you make a big purchase by the ton.

Good luck, and keep warm ;-)

1D

So i went to the local Harman dealer to buy the chimney pipes. He told me that because Harman doesnt call out to install the Accentra in a zero clearance hardi backer box like you did that if a fire were to ever happen my insurance company wouldnt cover it. He said it has to be installed in a existing zero clearance fireplace or the convenient zero clearance box from Harman which costs another $300 on top of the $4000 stove. He told me to cut the raised floor out of the existing zero clearance box i had to drop it down to the height of the hearth. I ended up taking all the framing out that i did, and cut the bottom of the zero clearance fireplace out and to my suprise there are holes in the bottom piece of sheet metal on that and it opens up about 5"s at the bottom so you can see the outside sheet metal. I dont understand how thats safe as compared to the approach you took and i was in the process of taking. I ended up lining the sides, back, and bottom with hardi backer to be on the safe side. Just thought id share that info for anyone else interested in the accentra.

For all that follow it would be an extremely good idea to read the install manual (most can be downloaded from online) before you partake in doing your own install, for each and every stove manufacturer has their own approved way of doing the install. I also met with the local code authorities to get the install pre-approved, and went through the permit, and inspection process, which may be a required process for your home owners insurance.

As for the Harman Accentra, buying the approved metal install box will cost about the same as all the materials involved without counting the labor for the install that I did. In my case the Accentra wasn't big enough to properly heat my home, so I had to follow the recommendations of the install manual for the Regency GCI60/Enviro M55 insert, for to my knowledge there is not a factory approved metal box available.

1D

Here is the pictures of the "out the back of the chase" 4" exhaust venting as recommended by the Regency Hampton GCI60 technical manual on page # 17, figure #12, and notice the outside air kit (OAK) installed below and to the left on the chase.Once again please refer to your own Manufactures technical install manual for details on your own install.

Attachments

• DSCF1524.jpg
    DSCF1524.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF1527.jpg
    DSCF1527.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 330
I dont know what the prices of materials are like where you are at, but for all the hardi backer, lumber for framing and mantle, and tile from the floor to the ceiling was $700. That was including all the extra material to frame out the box and hardi backer it, but over 90% of the cost went to tile. It would have worked out to about $60 in material vs $300 for the harman zero clearance box. In my case the way i did it now only cost me about 20 minutes with a grinder and $15..... i agree talk to an actual dealer for the stove you purchase and download the install manual. Im not blaming you for my first approach i was told by the guys i bought the stove from (not harman dealers) who have been doing it for "years" to do it the way you were, and i was searching to finding someone else that did something similar which landed me here. I was just trying to touch on the subject and point that out to other people reading this.

inkslanger said:
I dont know what the prices of materials are like where you are at, but for all the hardi backer, lumber for framing and mantle, and tile from the floor to the ceiling was $700. That was including all the extra material to frame out the box and hardi backer it, but over 90% of the cost went to tile. It would have worked out to about $60 in material vs $300 for the harman zero clearance box. In my case the way i did it now only cost me about 20 minutes with a grinder and $15..... i agree talk to an actual dealer for the stove you purchase and download the install manual. Im not blaming you for my first approach i was told by the guys i bought the stove from (not harman dealers) who have been doing it for "years" to do it the way you were, and i was searching to finding someone else that did something similar which landed me here. I was just trying to touch on the subject and point that out to other people reading this.

No problem at all, and when you mentioned the Accentra I should have directed you to use the ZC steel box, but instead I just tried to answer the questions that were asked.
As far as the material cost I wasn't counting the tile or mantel into my costs, but I needed drywall, drywall mud, insulation, metal studs, wood studs, rock board, rock board & drywall screws, fireproof adhesive, misc electrical supplies, and I'm sure I'm missing some other things.
My dealer had quoted me a bit over $200.00 for the Accentra ZC steel box, and the install of that would have been about an hour instead of roughly eight hours, so I would have gladly went with it instead, but the Accentra wasn't large enough to heat my house.

I was glad to see your post because I was able to go back and highlight some points to clarify that this install was from the manufactures technical install manual not something that I made up on my own.

I was actually trying to change the topic title to further prevent any confusion, but have been unable to figure out how as of yet.

I do hope this was somewhat helpful to you, and others, and I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

1D

To change the title. Go to the very 1st post and click "Edit". From there you can change it.

Yeah and it wasnt you that mislead me to begin with it was the guys i bought the stove from. Ill post some pics when i get a chance. I tried to do it from my cell phone, but the pics are too big so i have to get them onto my computer and resize them. Thanks for the help ;)

DexterDay said:
To change the title. Go to the very 1st post and click "Edit". From there you can change it.

Thank you Dexter!

The title has been updated. ;-P

1D

inkslanger said:
Yeah and it wasnt you that mislead me to begin with it was the guys i bought the stove from. Ill post some pics when i get a chance. I tried to do it from my cell phone, but the pics are too big so i have to get them onto my computer and resize them. Thanks for the help ;)

Awesome, I'm glad it worked out for you, and I would love to see some pics. ;-)

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.