Venting about Woodsmanpartsplus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuaviktor

Dec 19, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
I ordered for the first time from them. The guy I talked to on the phone was knowledgeable, helpful, and got me on the right track.

I ordered some handles, gasket, gasket cement, flex to flex connector, etc. This was put on one order, shipped out quickly, and I literally got it the next day.

This was the good part of the experience.

I also had to special order 5 feet of SS liner, cause I apparently can't measure worth crud. I had to pay a premium for the special order, 14.33 afoot for the 6 inch liner. They were upfront about this, so I went ahead and ordered. I was told that it had to come straight from the factory, and that shipping would be extra. I asked how much shipping would be, and they told me they didn't know, as the factory boxes things up, and it depends on what size box it fits in, and what it weighs. Well, 5 feet of liner doesn't weigh much, but it is a bit big, so I figured on 10-25 dollars in shipping. I just went to pay a bill online, and I saw the charge from woodsmanspartplus. $111.65

For those of you, who, like me, need to take their boots off to figure this one out, the 5 feet of liner, at 14.33 a foot is $71.65. The shipping is $40. That means that shipping this is approximately 56% of the original purchase price.

Ok, once I stopped steaming out the ears, I called. The lady who took the call looked it up, confirmed my figures, and said she could do nothing. I got handed off to Fran. Fran told me that that was that, and the only thing she could do was cancel the order. She was willing to refund my money, so at least I give them credit for that, but damn, couldn't they have warned me the shipping was going to be so high? You know the factory had to call them to tell them the shipping amount, so when they realized it was going to be such a high amount, couldn't they have called me to ask if I wanted to go through with it? I might have still gone through with it, but at least I would have CHOSEN to do so. (I told them not to cancel, as I don't where to get a custom length other than them. Captive audience pays off.)

Argh.

I'll probably get stepped on by some people here, but I am just annoyed royally. I was so impressed by them because of my first shipment, but this is not good. Now, I'm not happy. It may not seem like much, but I am unemployed. Money is not running like water, if you get my drift.

Joshua

/Back to lurking and sending out resumes. Monster, here I come.

I know it is kind of a pain, huh? I just got hosed on an ebay auction...sold a garment/carryon bag... It was an $80 bag that brought $20 at auction, plus my $14.99 shipping fee based on the weight, so about $35 total. When I got ready to ship it, I noticed that the extendable handle made the back of the bag rigid so it had to go in an 18x18x24" box...got dinged by the 'ol "oversize" charge with UPS....shipping was almost $27 bucks. The net sale (minus photo fee, insertion fee, ebay sale fee, paypal sale fee) was about $4 bucks. And that was for a couple hours of work to photo the thing, write the description, get it on ebay, answer all the stupid questions, pack it, and haul it to the UPS store. I might as well have burned it for heat!

I guess the bottom line is that 'oversize charge' kicks in if you have anything bigger than a breadbox, and it can be a killer! On the bright side, you expected up to $25 shipping and it was really $40, so only a $15 hit overall. I think I paid $25/ft locally for my liner and that wasn't even a special order!

Corey

Shipping can be a killer. Couldn't you find a hearth shop that had a bit of liner laying around? I always have 1'-6' sections of flex left over here and there. Most of the time I just save them for when I'm a little short.

Shane said:
Shipping can be a killer. Couldn't you find a hearth shop that had a bit of liner laying around? I always have 1'-6' sections of flex left over here and there. Most of the time I just save them for when I'm a little short.

Did a rebuild on a store full of display cases. Needed a 4 ft piece of a special track, ordered from Outwater Plastics, but they had to ship from New Jersey only in 8ft. lengths. Part was $11.50 shipping was $44.55. Of course when I submitted the bill to my customer they balked at paying. Explained that OW was the only source, unless I bought 5,000 feet.

So, if you need a limited amount you are certainly at the mercy of the supplier. However, I would think a specialty metal house could do way better in price. I've bought small quantity of special trim from a local wholesaler. Another thought is a muffler shop. They are using a lot more stainless and probably have access to the pipe, and for a small fee would include your needs with a larger order for better shipping costs.

thanks guys, sorry for venting, just

argh.

it never rains but it ...

Ah well, got a job interview coming up next week. 5th interview. 2 phone, 2 inperson, now they want a presentation to see my people skills.

Wish me luck!

Joshua

We run a mail order business of roadrace and sportbike parts and accessories, and I can confirm UPS rates went through the roof this year. They used to have levels for oversize packages, OS1, OS2, OS3 depending on the dimensions. This year they went to a straight dim weight in the box, you probably paid for a 70-80# package because of the size. I know we get a lot of complaints on freight charges, but what can you do, you know. It kind of is what it is....unfortunatley.

Just FYI, DHL has vastly lower rates on big and heavy packages than UPS - at least in my experience.

I'm shipping these Extendaflues - some are 65+ lbs and 18x18x45 or so, for reasonable prices. I don't think I ever had a shipment that was over about 42 - and that is coast to coast!

These days a manufacturers or shipper should make certain to shop around in order to give their customers the best deal possible. Depending on package size, distance, etc. Fed Express or even US post office can have better rates.

hookspacken said:
We run a mail order business of roadrace and sportbike parts and accessories, and I can confirm UPS rates went through the roof this year. They used to have levels for oversize packages, OS1, OS2, OS3 depending on the dimensions. This year they went to a straight dim weight in the box, you probably paid for a 70-80# package because of the size. I know we get a lot of complaints on freight charges, but what can you do, you know. It kind of is what it is....unfortunatley.

I no longer ship UPS for heavy items. I use FedEx, Emery Air or Old Dominion. Shipped a 67 lb. Cast Iron Griddle from Salt Lake to Missoula Montana. Size and weight came to $56. UPS. Shipped FedEx, cost $27. Important to shop around.

Fedex freight is HORRIBLE... Nothing like going to unload a pallet of hardwood flooring, and seeing it ALL over the inside of a 53' van........

Jake said:
Fedex freight is HORRIBLE... Nothing like going to unload a pallet of hardwood flooring, and seeing it ALL over the inside of a 53' van........

Jake:
Wouldn't ship a pallet load of anything with a parcel shipper. Under a hundred pounds, hard to beat. DHL is also much better than UPS. I have also used Freight Forwarders for cheap air shipping. For example, brought a solvent still from Orlando, Florida to Salt Lake, at 220lbs, for $190.00 arrived in 48 hours. Common carrier price was $460.00 and two to three weeks. All you have to do is develop a good relation with the company reps.

this is interesting , i had a customer mention DHL to me last week seems he ships a lot and says dhl is far superior, presented it to our office coordinator , she is having our shipping head check into it , would be great to save some bucks in shipping

joshuaviktor said:
I ordered for the first time from them. The guy I talked to on the phone was knowledgeable, helpful, and got me on the right track.

I ordered some handles, gasket, gasket cement, flex to flex connector, etc. This was put on one order, shipped out quickly, and I literally got it the next day.

This was the good part of the experience.

I also had to special order 5 feet of SS liner, cause I apparently can't measure worth crud. I had to pay a premium for the special order, 14.33 afoot for the 6 inch liner. They were upfront about this, so I went ahead and ordered. I was told that it had to come straight from the factory, and that shipping would be extra. I asked how much shipping would be, and they told me they didn't know, as the factory boxes things up, and it depends on what size box it fits in, and what it weighs. Well, 5 feet of liner doesn't weigh much, but it is a bit big, so I figured on 10-25 dollars in shipping. I just went to pay a bill online, and I saw the charge from woodsmanspartplus. $111.65

For those of you, who, like me, need to take their boots off to figure this one out, the 5 feet of liner, at 14.33 a foot is $71.65. The shipping is $40. That means that shipping this is approximately 56% of the original purchase price.

Ok, once I stopped steaming out the ears, I called. The lady who took the call looked it up, confirmed my figures, and said she could do nothing. I got handed off to Fran. Fran told me that that was that, and the only thing she could do was cancel the order. She was willing to refund my money, so at least I give them credit for that, but damn, couldn't they have warned me the shipping was going to be so high? You know the factory had to call them to tell them the shipping amount, so when they realized it was going to be such a high amount, couldn't they have called me to ask if I wanted to go through with it? I might have still gone through with it, but at least I would have CHOSEN to do so. (I told them not to cancel, as I don't where to get a custom length other than them. Captive audience pays off.)

Argh.

I'll probably get stepped on by some people here, but I am just annoyed royally. I was so impressed by them because of my first shipment, but this is not good. Now, I'm not happy. It may not seem like much, but I am unemployed. Money is not running like water, if you get my drift.

Joshua

/Back to lurking and sending out resumes. Monster, here I come.

Bro, I understand your pain, been there recently.
But that price really ain't bad. I was quoted also $25.00 per ft locally. Thats $250.00 for a 5'-6" flex pc. You made out ok man. Smile it could be alot worse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.