venting and decks!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
I tasked a friend into getting a pellet stove. We are installing it ourselves. However, he has a large deck area where the stove vent pipe will go. Is it okay to vent it there with 3+ vertical feet before it goes to deck?

His house has deck wrapping 3 of 4 walls. Any install location will require venting to deck surface.

The stove's manual should define the minimum clearances to combustible surfaces.

Ours is vented over our deck. The installer recommended getting a 4'x4' piece of 26 gauge (or thicker) sheet metal to put on the deck under the venting. We got 2 sheets of 3'x6' 22 gauge (since that's what was available... and we prefer to be cautious) and it worked out great! Relatively inexpensive insurance... :)

Hmmmm.. so do you think I should get some sheet metal??? Wish my friend would have told me that...and I wish he knew how to attach the vertical stove pipe to house too.

Status
Not open for further replies.