Venting and Exhaust Through Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kramttocs

Jan 3, 2015
Springfield, MO
Was starting on the cleaning of my pellet stove and got to looking/thinking about how it was piped. It was this way when we bought the house about 3 years ago and it had been in the house since the early 90's (a '92 model stove).

It's a Country Flame P100 with a metal plate/panel that covers the opening around the fireplace.

So coming from the back of the exhaust is an elbow, a 2ft piece up to the smoke shelf, a short length of heavy flexible tubing in a gradual S shape around the smoke shelf and then two stories of pipe (Cape Code house) up the chimney and outside. The pipe goes (well it used to I assume but has fallen about 6 inches over the years) through a round hole in a piece of sheet metal that sits on the chimney and then there's the side-grated chimney cap.
I got a thicker piece of scrap metal (1/4" or so) that I am planning on cutting a round hole in, pulling the pipe end up through and then somehow (screws + worm gear clamp) stopping it from falling down again. At this point the whole assembly will be supported by this. Pretty confident in making this change as it will allow the smoke shelf S to be more stretched out and less of the 90 elbow that it turned into when everything fell as it's sitting on it.

On to the actual questions-

The pipe is single wall 3 inch pipe. Pretty confident that it's galvanized or at least the section at the bottom sure looks mottled.

I've read about needing double wall and not using galvanized (off gassing) but considering it's been like this for 30 years, is either a concern?
Is single wall ok inside a clay lined chimney? I'd say it is 12x12.

The IN port on the pellet stove doesn't have anything on it. I was planning on putting a pipe to get it to the smoke shelf and then fitting some roxul in the narrow spot right below the smokeshelf around the intake and exhaust pipes. Currently there isn't anything separating the outside besides the sheet metal with the exhaust hole on top of the chimney and the panel filling the gap between the fireplace opening and the pellet stove.

I picked up some 3 inch galvanized pipe for the intake before I read about the gassing. Can always return it.

How much heat comes off of the single wall exhaust? The walls around the chimney in the second floor are warm while the stove is running but I would prefer that by product during the winter over losing it all out the chimney.

Thanks

Don't worry about the off gassing, it is not a real problem. Not even when welding it like people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.