Venting Englander 55-SHPAHL thru factory Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocnWillow

Oct 21, 2015
Orange County, NY
Greetings!
Off the bat I must say I am a bit new at Forums, but I have learned much from spending time here at Hearth!
If I use the wrong terminology, please don't hesitate to Educate Me!!

Looking for ideas on venting an Englander 55-SHPAHL thru a existing Preway Model BE41MH Built-In Fireplace with a Prefabricated Chimney aprox. 11 feet in height.
The chimney is a Preway 8 inch Double wall unit with an outside diameter of about 11.5 inches.

The fireplace is in the corner of the LR with the chimney behind. No part of the chimney is visible from the LR and it is a straight shot up the stack after I removed the "smoke Shield" from the inside of the fireplace box.
Only thing in the way is the round damper plate!
The top of the chimney has a round cap with diamond wire mesh ( I Think that's what it is called) walls about 8 inches tall.
It has an 6 inch Outside air Supply in-place to supply the fireplace, so I was thinking of using that hole to supply the pellet Stove with outside Air. .

We thought maybe we could use a 3 inch to 8 inch adapter to connect the stove, but after consulting Englander Stove works, who stated that the adapter is not workable as 6 inches is the largest diameter the stove should be vented directly into, we are now looking for the best way to do it.

We would really rather not cut more holes in the house and the option of cutting thru the Exterior wall of the LR would force Us to run the vent up the side of the house and above the edge of the roof due to the fact that it would be exiting the house within 3 feet of both a window and the back stairs. Also, from what I have seen here at Hearth, ice and snow can be problematic when anything has to pass close to the edge of the roof. There is no gutter .

Seems silly to Us to have a perfectly functional chimney and not use it!

We would like to place the pellet stove in front of the fireplace on a 36x48 Stove Board, after sliding the existing 20inch deep slab of floor brick (Hearth piece?) out and run from the exhaust vent on the back of the stove to a clean-out T and then up the Prefab chimney.

After talking with a couple of local Dealers, I am still not clear as to the best way to proceed... the 1st one would not work with Us without selling Us a pellet stove and the 2nd dealer only sells Flexible liner kits that come in a minimum length of 15 feet, and besides the $450.00 "Liner kit", He said we still have to find a way to connect the single wall T of the liner kit to a double wall connector piece from the vent on the back of the pellet stove.
It seems to Me that smooth-walled vent pipe would be better than running flexible liner in regards to cleaning issues/vent maintenance or am I wrong?

We did talk with a Fireplace store down near Suffern, NY. and a Tech there said one possible way is to run a length of vent pipe part-way up the inside of the 8inch chimney,and then "stub" the vent pipe up inside the 8 in chimney.

What would be the best way to center and seal the 3 inch vent where it would enter the the 8inch chimney inside the top of the Preway fireplace?
We are hoping to leave the Preway just as it is (With the exception of removing the slanted smoke shield piece and the damper) so that the fireplace supports the chimney , etc.

From what I have read here at Hearth, it looks like there will be no problems with the insulation "factor" running vent pipe up the existing chimney, but how would One support the vent pipe inside the chimney, and what would be the best way to center and "seal" the opening at the bottom of the 8inch stack where the stove exhaust pipe enters the bigger chimney?

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions about this would be so very appreciated.
Favorite Dealers, places to purchase items, everything!

On hand We have the following:
1 Duravent 3PVL-T Double wall Clean Out T
2 " " 3PVL1 foot adjustable sections
" " 3PVL- AD appliance adapter

From the reactions of 2 out of the 3 Brick and Mortar stores we have been to, One might be lead to think we are attempting something radical, but I simply can not believe that nobody else has vented a stove this way....But I am here to make sure things are done right.

Thanks and really looking forward to Folk's Ideas!

Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.