Venting Gas Insert out sidewall of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob11

Sep 16, 2007
I have 2 Sienna Enviro-fire gas inserts. We are doing a remodel and removed our chimney at the roofline and capped it off. The insert down stairs sits about 14' feet below grade so we want to come up through what's left of the fireplace and then make a 90 degree turn and vent to the outside world thru the brick fireplace below the roof line. Can this be done?
I see a product out there called Dura Vent...that seems to allow us to make this 14' vertical rise then right hand turn out the back? This problem is causing us to be sleepless in Seattle!

We've taken a similar plan to our local codes department, and had it shot down. They ruled that a gas insert may only be installed in a code-approved fireplace structure, and that shortening and capping off the chimney and making holes in the sidewall for the intake & exhaust liners created that the fireplace structure was no longer code-approved. For a final determination, you'll need to run your idea by your local code inspector.

I was afraid of that. Have you looked at the Dura Vent which is on Ace The Hardware Place's website or it's own website?
http://www.duravent.com
They show a picture of a vertical vent rise then a 90 degree vent thru a sidewall. Thx Tom

You cannot vent inserts horizontally, they are not tested like that and it could cause delayed ignition and explosion.

What you can do is get some various pieces from Simpson duravent and cap off the liners at the end of your old chimney with a co-linear to co-axial converter. From there you run the co-axial Simpson duravent straight up through the new roof, roof flashing, storm collar, and cap.

This has been specifically approved for some of the inerts we work with and would not recommend doing it unless you have approval from the manufacturer.

If you need the part numbers of the parts I can look them up in the catalog on Monday.

Yes Pls advise DuraVent part numbers we would need. We have 2 inserts (upsatirs and downstairs). Will they stay as direct vent or B Vent?
We also just ordered an outdoor SS Vermont Casting unit that looks like we will have the same issue.
Thanks much for the help-Bob

They would stay direct vent, I will look in the catalog from home if I have time and update this post. Again, I would ask the manufacturer if they approve of this install before doing it. Also might not be a bad idea to ask the local inspector about it.

Hi JTP-We are going to have the contractor rebuild the chimney thru the roof and vent directly vertically for the inserts. It seems we are not getting a horizontal solution of any sort on a gas insert. It is hard to understand why. It just seems like it is cold air in and somewhat restricted hot air out. I understand air resistance might be up a little with the 90degree turn to vent outside but are the inserts really that sensitive? Or is it more a building code issue. Thx for the offer to look up the parts but we don't need that now. Thx again for keeping us on the straight & narrow.-Bob

Its not allowed because inserts are not tested that way. The parts I was suggesting would allow you to vent up through the roof. If you rebuild the chimney up through the roof this is the best solution though. You make need a new liner kit, or a liner extension. And you will need a new top plate and cap unless you saved it.

----

Since I'm bored I decided to post the parts anyway just for future reference

46DVA-GK - Chimney Liner Termination Kit (This is the co-linear -> co-axial adaptor and top plate)
46DVA-<Pipe Length> - Whatever pipe you need to get through roof and meet min specs for gas
46DVA-F6 (or F12) - Roof Flashing
46DVA-SC - Storm Collar
46DVA-VCH - Cap

Yep all new venting, top [plate and cap. The owner of the remodel company is feeling bad because he is the one that said get rid of the Chimney in the 1st place. We had a working insert! I think he was seeing others do it with gas fireplaces not gas inserts and incorrectly made the suggestion. Well it is adding a little color to our already difficult remodel story. Ask me about my nights in Motel 6 last week!! Thx for your help and hopefully this Post will help others avoid this mistake.
There is definitely a market for a horizontally vented Gas Insert.

Actually... inserts are made to be inserted into a fully functional wood fireplace. Wood fireplaces always vent vertically. There is NO market for gas inserts that can terminate horizontally. That's what direct vent built in fireplaces are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.