Venting insert into existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maumic82

Jan 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
Recently purchased a Harman Accentra insert. I am planning on cutting the fireplace damper plate and installing a "T" out the back of the stove for cleanout purposes. Then I plan on running 4" SS flex inside the old flue and attaching to a new rain cap. The 4" run will be approx 20'. Does this seem to be the correct procedure?

You should not need a cleanout t. The Accentra insert should slide into a cage. You attach your 4" exhaust to the cage and can access it VERY EASILY when the stove is slid out (it is on rails) for cleaning. When you slide the stove back it will form a secure seal with the gasket to the cage. Remember to insulate the pipe in the firebox area as per the manual. To me, the fact that the Harman inserts slide in and out on rails is one of the reasons they are the best! If your stove is used I would suggest finding a manual for it. If it is used and came without the cage I would see if I could buy one, Here's the page from my owners manual (P35i) that shows the cage. cage page.JPG

Thanks for the reply. I never thought about the fact it is in the cage, and you could just slips out for cleaning. I guess I will just need the 25' of SS Flex and a rain cap. Is it only necessary to insulate the portion of pipe from the stove until it goes through the damper opening?

yes, you only need to insulate to the damper opening.

isulation is optional. I have none, never had any issues. I took my damper completely out. its capped at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.