Venting into brick chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
I am thinking of putting my spare in the basement and wonder if I can just put a stub into the existing brick chimney or do i need pipe running all the way up. There wont be anything else vented to it.

What does your stove manual say? Mine says it CAN be done.

Is it just a brick chimney or does it have a clay tile liner? NFPA211 might have something to say about a brick chimney. They TRUMP the stove maker.

Found it
7.2.2.1 Masonary chimneys shall be lined.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Is it just a brick chimney or does it have a clay tile liner? NFPA211 might have something to say about a brick chimney. They TRUMP the stove maker.

Found it
7.2.2.1 Masonary chimneys shall be lined.

Eric

I have a Clay Lined Cinder Block Chimney and that works fine.

see pic

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 353
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was told to run a tee with a flex pipe to get through the smoke shelf then run a few feet into the clay liner and insulate around it. Will this work? What insulation would be best?

For almost 10 years i ran a 6' 3" flex pipe up my chimney, with a block off plate where the damper was, only problem the ash dust builds up above the pipe and falls down on the blockoff, alot of mess when you remove it someday
Pellet stoves after say 6' blow warm air about as much as a dryer vent, not too much to worry/ get excited about, i've see n stoves hooked up to a pipe straight out thru a wall to outside 3' long if that at my Whit dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.