Venting issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradford

Nov 26, 2009
downeast
My 200 year old chimney has been restored with "Golden Flu" resulting in a 6 inch flu which is great for wood stoves but too small for "direct vent" gas stoves and too large for "B vent gas stoves. Suggestions?

Most direct vent gas stoves can be run into a link kit which is a 4" liner down the middle and it uses the space around it for the fresh air.

For a B-Vent stove you could drop an alum liner down if the unit is approved for that. Alum liners are cheap.

Don't burn wood in the open fireplace (if you have one). It will smoke back like mad with only a 6" flue.

Not sure, ask the manufacturer or check the manual. We don't sell B-Vent fireplace around here anymore. Dropping a 4" alum gas liner down the flue would not be very expensive anyway. You could prob find a liner kit with a cap for $300-$500

bradford said:
My 200 year old chimney has been restored with "Golden Flu" resulting in a 6 inch flu which is great for wood stoves but too small for "direct vent" gas stoves and too large for "B vent gas stoves. Suggestions?

I'd say it's PERFECT for a DV stove, although making the adapter fit to the existing liner
may be a bit of a challenge.
I wouldn't go with a B-vent, unless you know that the existing
chimney will draft correctly...If it doesn't, a B-vent unit won't either...
I'd go with a DV stove & be happy, safe, & warm...

Status
Not open for further replies.