Venting Jotul QT - Hearth Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
scottgen20 said:
Thanks guys.. I'll look into insulating the chimney.. At this point, I'm wondering what would be more cost effective -- trying to increase the chimney height, or to install something like an Exhausto chimney fan to induce some draft..

I checked the instructions and it is approved for both fireplace and alcove installation. Looking at the clearances, it would appear that I should be fine. My fireplace mass is very large, so the nearest place that could actually contain framing is outside of the clearance areas..

I would insulate and see if that works before extending the chimney or buying a fan.

Have you thought about pulling the stove out some and installing a rear heat shield so all your heat doesn't get absorbed by the masonary? I think you would notice a big difference in heat!

HarryBack said:
ggez, elk, Im only 220 lbs!.......thinking of going as Sasquatch tho next halloween, but Im afraid everyone would recognize me.....I know! I'll get a pair of those Matterhorn Search and Rescue boots! even if they DO recognize me, they'll be afraid to say anything but "hi"......

I don't know too many tripple or quad EEEEE widths Little humor here nothing more than I read your post

Corie said:
I don't think the bullet leaving a barrel is synonomous with smoke going up a chimney. Remember, a bullet is propelled, whereas the smoke only rises based on a temperature differential.

We all agree that a cold chimney doesn't draft well at all, and in this case we have a stove that is too small to keep the flue warm for draft. I don't see how adding height will help the small stove keep the flue warm enough to maintain draft?

Point being there has to be enought verticle hight for smoke to develop momentun. Restric the flow, elbows or change in direction one has to add to the verticle height to allow momentum to be built up again. If you should need help with Math formulars or lineal equasions, I can not help but would call on my three brothers to smooth over the interpetation. One PHD MIT U Pitts and dean Chemistry. Secomd PHD Math Math Carnigie mellon Working some where in the Pentagon. Third Phd in electrical engineering
Me working on my PHD in English and have a long way to go. but a sense of humor

I'll give the liner insulation a try.. At the least, I should have drier wood on my side.. The wood that I used last season seemed not to be quite ready for prime time.

I suppose that if nothing works, I can resort to the fan.. I'm not crazy about having to introduce mechanical ventilation into the picture, but at least I would be assured of getting a good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.