Venting options, revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice clean, easy install. I can see now why no staining on the siding....the end is far enough away. On the pics i've seen of the ones that really sooted-up the siding, the end was much closer.

The main thing, is that it works for you. Thanks for the pics...I'm sure this helped some people out.

Deercroft - thanks for the pics! Nice install! I think I am going to stick with the horizontal venting. I noticed the end piece on your pipe is designed to divert the air flow to the sides instead on downward. What is the advantage to this - to prevent any leaves or debris that happens to get carried by the wind under the vent from catching on fire? This is my biggest concern, and I will lay some firebricks under the end of the term cap to help reduce the risk (or will it?)

caseyclan;

you are correct, cap at end of pipe allows flyash to escape side to side....never down...with this venting there is no need to place firebrick under vent pipe....heat rises, plus any tiny embers that exhaust resemble that of a (firefly)....(literally) for that duration of time.....16 tons of pellets burned so far......never a single problem.....you won't be dissapointed with this type of install...

caseyclan;

you are correct, cap at end of pipe allows flyash to escape side to side....never down...with this venting there is no need to place firebrick under vent pipe....heat rises, plus any tiny embers that exhaust resemble that of a (firefly)....(literally) for that duration of time.....16 tons of pellets burned so far......never a single problem.....you won't be disappointed with this type of install...

That looks good. I think I will be tempted to install my stove vent pipe that way. According to the manual for my Enviro I need 2 ft clearence under the pipe outside which I will have easy enough. Looks like it would be a cheaper install also then having to run pipe up the wall. I think I would be tempted to put one of them flat 2 ft X 2 ft patio stones under it though just to make sure there was no contact with grass. For an extra 5 bucks what the heck. Also would be that much less grass to trim in the summer lol.

we have a wrap around driveway of crushed stone that extends beneath vent pipe....2ftx2ft patio stone sounds good...from the pic's I posted, interior vertical vent pipe would have been unsightly...we are happy to have done it this way...

Status
Not open for further replies.