Venting pellet/corn stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptlmveng

Nov 13, 2010
NJ
I need some advice. I just got a corn/pellet stove that my dad was getting rid of. I plan on putting it on the first floor of my house. Originally I was going to vent straight out the wall then go up about 6' before terminating. Then I got to reading the owners manual as well as dura vents instructions and they say that exterior pipe should be in an insulated chase. I understand the concept of how condensation in vent pipe for a corn stove is not good, but is it really nessesary to design a chase for the pipe? I don't care if I have to replace the exterior pipe every few years but don't want to have to do it every year. I can run the 6' of vertical on the interior but then the stove has to be further from the wall and I had hoped to put it almost all the way into a corner, not 10" off the back wall. Any advice or personal experience with exterior venting would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen several installs in the past that went out then up. Its all fine and dandy until its time to replace the stove. You will be limited on the location of the output hight of the next stove search. Going up and out inside helps reduce this as there is adjustable lengths of pipe you can get to solve the hight issue.

An interior pipe might not clog up as fast as an exterior? But either way they both exit the house sooner or later and that is were you see some buildup in the pipe. If you clean the pipe on a regular basis it isn't a problem either way! Most keep tabs of how much fuel they burned and clean about every ton or so. Don't push the cleaning out beyond the ton mark until you get used to the build up in the vent pipe. Corn is dirtier than pellets and will build in the pipe faster. Just keep tabs on it and try to keep it easy to clean as best as possible.

Thanks! Guess I never gave that a thought about a future stove. Hopefully it'll match up. If not replacing drywall, osb, and vinyl siding is easy to do. Heck, by then hopefully I will have saved so much money from not buying oil, that I'll just pay someone to do it. I'll make sure I clean it atleast once a month just to be on the safe side. Whats the process for cleaning the pipe? Just a brush or are there chemicals that can help?

Just a brush and a vacuum is all you need. Some are using the leave blower to suck all the crap from the pipe and the stove. Do a search on leave blower you will get several hits. Works too, But I still brush first.

Status
Not open for further replies.