Q&A Venting problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an up and down fire places(one on main level and one on lower level) same chimney with separate flu's. Last year I put caps(three separate caps) on them to keep out debris but now I notice the upstairs is drafting to the basement fireplace the basement doesn't draft at all(I don't know if it ever did)also my furnace and hot water tank are vented through same chimney but also have a separate flu. Help!

Answer:

The caps are probably not helping any since the gases must exit the caps through the sides...and this bring the smoke next to another flue where it can be sucked down by a downdraft (usually when the other flues are not in use)

Solution is to maybe raise the center flue by a foot or so, and then the three chimney won't terminate right next to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.