venting question (englander)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
emailed cust support, they said 4ft. :(
from a functional window

we just bought a Harman P61A and had it installed with the Selkirk DT vent piping. It is installed approx 24" beside a window. I think it is dependant on the stove manufacturer and Harman says 18" with OAK. See the following thread for what our installation looks like...
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78792/

I emailed again asking about a non functional window.

They said it doesn't matter its still 4ft per nfpa 211 the national standard book.

They don't include that info in the manual because they want you to follow the nfpa guidelines.

seems to me Englander is maybe the only manufacurer using nfpa guidelines and not creating their own?

but I could be wrong.

If ida dun my homework better, that rule mighta prevented this purchase.

Ima gonna have a hella time makin it work.

Its too bad I really like the lil stove. so far....

Is that truly a non-functional window or are you just saying you won't be opening it?

I'll remove the crank and pin it closed if it'll gain me a couple feet.

smoke show said:
emailed cust support, they said 4ft. :(
from a functional window

The 4' figure is pretty much standard. This is from a Travis Industries (Avalon/Lopi stoves) manual:

"Minimum 4' clearance below or beside any door or window that opens
Minimum 1’ clearance below or beside any window that does not open."

If the window is "nailed" shut, that should do it.

They have to take that stance. One person has somebody staying at the house while they are away and opens the window and fills the house with CO and dies and ESW is up a creek. If you are pulling a permit and getting an inspection, talk to the inspector first about disabling the window. The inspector's sign-off is what counts.

I agree.

seems wierd that some maufacturers allow 18" and others are 48"

I just looked at the manual for one of Harman's pellet stoves. That 18" with outside air is dumb. They are assuming that the pellet stove is the only thing that would be causing negative pressure in the house and drawing in exhaust therefore an OAK negates it. Turn on the clothes drier or vent-a-hood and that theory is toast.

It would be interesting to hear Corie's take on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.