Venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High Altitude

Jul 12, 2008
Colorado
I am doing an up and out corner install and will be using duravent. I am using a 3 to 4" T on the back of the stove, 5' pipe, ninety, 3' through the thimble and then the cap.

What are your thoughts on buying the black pipe vs buying the regular pipe and painting it?

I am wondering why you are using 4" pipe, just use 3". The regular pipe takes paint OK but I am not sure what it will look like in 5 years.

I would go with the black. I have the same set up and painted mine internally with the black high temp paint. Still looks brand new, but outside I used the green high temp paint and I have to re-paint yearly. It gets hot, then rain or snow hits it and it slowly start to peel. I properly prepped the pipe and painted, but it stillneeds work every spring.

I would go with the black and be done with it. Use the 4 inch. I have the 3 and wished I would have went with the 4.

jtp10181 said:
I am wondering why you are using 4" pipe, just use 3". The regular pipe takes paint OK but I am not sure what it will look like in 5 years.

I am going to use 4" because my house is at 8,000'.

My local dealer doesn't carry any of the black pipe.

Any recommendations on where to mail order black pipe?

Thanks

Good choice on the 4". I try to use 4" every chance I can or when ever I am close to the 15 EVL.

I have never had a problem with spraying the pipe. Prior to the spray use a good greaser and let the pipe warm in the sun or by some other heat source if it is a cold day.

Eric

You have had good luck spraying the pipe for the exterior?

I have cleaned heavily with mineral spirits, even tried a light sand, then mineral spirits, etc. Many light, light coats, etc. Still doesn't hold up for more than a year.

I only use Stove Bright stove paint and it is the best. No problems so far with Dura Vent Pipe. Knock on wood.

Eric

i painted mine (duravent) with our black stove paint , matches the stove obviously, that said i did not prime or use any mineral spirits , i didnt think i would have to as i used the pipe for a couple seasons with the out of the box look. had em down to clean and had some touch up paint said what the heck. doesnt look any different now than when i painted it. i am assuming that the curing process of use has made precleaning with spirits unnecessary. time will tell i guess.

I'm talking about outside for the termination. Are you guys? Mine on the inside looks like the day I painted it and all I did was jsut spray it down with a couple coats.
The outsided of mine lasts 12 months before the elements, heat, etc get to it.

Fire It Up said:
I'm talking about outside for the termination. Are you guys? Mine on the inside looks like the day I painted it and all I did was jsut spray it down with a couple coats.
The outsided of mine lasts 12 months before the elements, heat, etc get to it.

My question deals with painting the inside pipe only. My install is in a walk out basement with a stem wall. I have to go up 5' or so for enough draft and to have it above the stem wall and then out the side of the house.

If it's just inside, just spray a couple coats and it would be fine. Mine looks mint after several seasons. Wouldn't know it was painted.

I thought you were talking about inside and out. If just inside I wouldn't waste the money on the black pipe. HD or Lowes has high temp BBQ paint that works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.