venting questions for new future stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicity2012

Feb 23, 2015
Vermont
Hello all! While im narrowing down my choices in stoves im walking around my house trying to find the best spot to instal it. There are a few in mind but the best I can find may not be possible. Ill explain. Our living room is very centrally set in our house and I and the left hand corner is a nice bare space the stove would look great in. BUT that would mean venting underneath our staircase to get to the outside wall. Has anyone done this or is that just way too much horizontal run?

Best one can do is get a copy of the manual and check the installation guide for starters. Get a good start with as much vertical as one can. Others here can help if you have and idea of what stove. I know you had a eye one a PelPro.

Bioburner. Thank you. You bring up valid points. And yes I am contemplating between pelpro and englander for a stove. Even though stoves vaey I understand you need idealy 3 to 5 feet of rise to create a draft. I feel though that running under a staircase and venting through to the outside would just be too long horizontal and would nullify the vertical rise..... I have other places in my house I can put a stove I just thought this area had the best heat distribution.

Anyways bioburner I respect your honest and quick replies to my probably silly and monotonous questions as i continue to learn as much as I can about pellet stoves and the technology that comes with it. Thank you

I would be concerned about heat from the pipe, and access for maintenance. Cleaning out that horizontal pipe would be challenging I would imagine. Better to put the stove closer to an outside wall and get air circulation INTO the central spaces (door fans etc.). A quick floor plan of the house would definitely help.

EG

Status
Not open for further replies.