Venting stove thru manufactured fireplace chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truck243

Feb 20, 2011
louisville ky
I think I know the answer, but I'm gonna ask it in this forum. Can I vent the new woodstove thru the existing chimney pipe, I've been told no, but if the stack temp is going to be lower with the new stove, as compared to the old fireplace, why not?

It's a matter of temperature. Many ZC (manufactured) fireplaces are piped with lower temperature pipe then the 2100ºF UL 1777 pipe that is required for a modern insert or stove. That's why you'll find a stainless liner required in the installation instructions for ZC approved inserts.

The other problem is size, dumping a 6" stove pipe into a 10" flue pipe is probably going to result in poor draft and creosote accumulation. Both which can result in a dangerous condition.

Attachments

• reg 2400i.jpg
    reg 2400i.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 133
Status
Not open for further replies.