Venting stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flashvictim

Nov 20, 2010
Oklahoma
Hello,
Just bought a used Quadrafire 1200. I am going to vent it through the wall and then up above the roof. Maybe 10' vertical. My question is this...I have access to about 20' of 41/2" stainless flex pipe and about the same length of 3" stainless flex pipe. I also have a bunch of durablanket insulation that is used to insulate kiln cars at a brick plant. Would it be too crazy to run the 3" flex inside the 41/2" flex using the durablanket as insulation between the pipes? Actually wrap the 3" pipe with durablanket and then run it inside the larger pipe. Or is this just too off the wall? Would it keep everything cool enough so I do not burn down the whole town? Would it draft OK being flex pipe? Kinda wondering what you all think. Been checking out this site for a bit, but did not see anything on this subject. I thought I would ask.
Thank you!

I'd use the tried and true pellet vent... safe and easy (although not cheap).

A pellet stove does not need a draft like a wood stove (powered exhaust) so there is no need to vent above the roof line. Many of us use a straight horizontal vent without a 'rise'... you can get away with just a few feet of 'rise' which will help keep smoke from backing up into the house in the event of a power failure.

yeah, from all I have read, I do need to vent up vertically so I get a natural draft in case of a power failure. Last year, we lost power for about a week I believe. Sure do not want smoke in the house. Anybody else have any suggestions about my flex pipe question? Trying to get this stove fired up as it is cooling off, but want to have a sure fire plan of attack.
Thanks,

Ben

Welcome Ben,

I don't think that would pass your local code. Most local code go by whats in the stove manual. The flex vent is only allowed in a mansonary chimney. Even if you double the liners together there still would be heat transfer to the outer liner. There isn't any insulation between the lines to stop it.

Go with the proper vent pipe. Just safer to go that route. You could sell the flex liner to somebody by a local paper add or eBay even. Then use the cash to buy whats needed.

Code? what is this thing "CODE" you guys keep talking about? Still live in a non-permit, non-inspector county. have a close friend that built a 3200sqft house and didnt pull a single permit. he actually tried too. i bet there isn't alot of these places left in the US. oh. and No Zoning either.... :coolsmirk:

flashvictim said:
Hello,
Just bought a used Quadrafire 1200. I am going to vent it through the wall and then up above the roof. Maybe 10' vertical. My question is this...I have access to about 20' of 41/2" stainless flex pipe and about the same length of 3" stainless flex pipe. I also have a bunch of durablanket insulation that is used to insulate kiln cars at a brick plant. Would it be too crazy to run the 3" flex inside the 41/2" flex using the durablanket as insulation between the pipes? Actually wrap the 3" pipe with durablanket and then run it inside the larger pipe. Or is this just too off the wall? Would it keep everything cool enough so I do not burn down the whole town? Would it draft OK being flex pipe? Kinda wondering what you all think. Been checking out this site for a bit, but did not see anything on this subject. I thought I would ask.
Thank you!

Would it work? Yes, I'm sure it would.

Is it off the wall? Yes, it is.

Is it safe? Don't know....but I wouldn't take a chance.

As was mentioned above, there may be a code problem, depending on your area....better check with local code officials.

Bottom line for me: Would I recommend doing it? No....use regular pellet vent pipe.

I DO agree with going up above the roof for draft reasons.

samm6 said:
Code? what is this thing "CODE" you guys keep talking about? Still live in a non-permit, non-inspector county. have a close friend that built a 3200sqft house and didnt pull a single permit. he actually tried too. i bet there isn't alot of these places left in the US. oh. and No Zoning either.... :coolsmirk:

I would just for giggles check and see if the state doesn't have an overarching requirement if the local yokels don't.

Funny thing about how guvment works, if there is a way that some part of it can take a swipe at what is in your wallet there is likely something on the books that allows it.

Code is also what the insurance companies are interested in as well and your insurance company likely has some weasel wording in the policy to that effect, and it may include a nationally recognized code as a default if there is no local yokel code.

You have been warned.

Would it work... I am sure it would. My only real concern is if there was a fire anywhere in the house insurance can be a pain in the butt.

samm6 said:

You are one of the lucky ones where the government hasn't started protecting us from ourselves.... but a good pellet vent is what is safe and acceptable.

Well, we are way out in the sticks...we don't even have a cop anywhere near our town. We do have lots of guns, since we got no cops. So codes are no problem as you can do anything you want. Not so sure about insurance though. Even if insurance was ok???...Naw. I will heed all of your guys' advice and do it properly with the correct venting. I sure do not want my home burned up or someone hurt or killed over a couple of hundred bucks. Thanks for advice
Ben

Good luck. Glad you're doing it the right way....safety is #1.

Don't forget to post some pics of the install after you're done...we love stove pics, especially burning ones.

No pics = it really didn't happen :lol:

Hi Ben

I think your idea would work but on the other hand I also agree with the others as far as code, insurance reasons etc. The most important reason I'd go with a pellet vent pipe would be the safety of you and your family. As said you can always sell that flex pipe you have and that would help pay for your vent pipe. Also running it up at the roof line will not only give you a better draft, but its a whole lot easier on the combustion blower because when its the slightest bit of a breeze out there the winds will pull the exhaust out of your stove and this is a good thing..

Good luck

Hey, when I vent up I will be going through a 3 to 4' section of attic. Being that attics are usually full of junk, wires, mucho dust and stuff, what is the absolutely safest way to have a heated vent pipe go through it on the way to the roof? Extra insulation? Surrounding it will a bigger pipe? Please let me know as this kinda has me wondering. Thank you all AND HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING!!
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.