Venting through an existing wall vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikeysotp

Oct 3, 2020
55Newcyc!23
Brand new here. Just bought a pellet stove to put where there was one previously in a new to us home. The vent comes straight out of the back of the stove but is about 3" higher than the existing pipe through the wall. I already know the answer to this but I'm gonna ask anyway. I can't use the existing setup, correct? Will have to move the thing up so the stove vents straight out, right?

That would be best, but you could add a couple 45s or a tee and a 90to reach it if you really wanted to

show us a photo of your stove set up
Is it on a hearth? how high is the hearth?
A picture is worth a thousand words
Welcome to the forum

you could use the above suggestion just make sure on the outside of the wall you have enough pipe going up to create the draft you need to pull the smoke out...
If i ever have to change my stove ill be in the same boat.. when i installed my stove i wanted it as close to the wall as possible so i went strait out... Not thinking if i replace the stove everything will be in a different location

you could use the above suggestion just make sure on the outside of the wall you have enough pipe going up to create the draft you need to pull the smoke out...
If i ever have to change my stove ill be in the same boat.. when i installed my stove i wanted it as close to the wall as possible so i went strait out... Not thinking if i replace the stove everything will be in a different location
You talking like in power outages? Cause the rest of the time his combustion blower will give him draft. My experience has been that vertical rise on the outside of a house adds little natural draft u less the pipe is warm. Smoke hits cold pipe and doesn’t like to move.

Are you able to undo the thimble and move it up a bit?

Are you able to undo the thimble and move it up a bit?

I'm probably going to have to. I spoke to a tech at the manufacturer today and they didn't tell me I couldn't vent down to the existing pipe but they seemed to discourage it. I'll have to do the best I can without making a disaster out of it! I would have a pro do it but this is for a 2nd home up in the woods and not much around there and I'm really only up that way on the weekends.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Washed-Up
If you are handy. Take the pipe out move the hole up and patch
the lower part. But then again I have no idea what kind of wall it is
other than the wainscotting.

I have the same exact problem. Did u just make the hole in the wall larger or did you have to move it, and make a new hole?

I was able to move it. The previous pipe went through a square hole in the wall so I just elongated the top by a hair under 3" which allowed the thimble to still cover the bottom of the hole on the inside. On the outside I had to put in a couple of new cedar shingles on the bottom and I was done.

On a side note, the previous owner did not install a cold air intake so I skipped it since it is optional. What I have found out in the meantime is that means the burn pot is now sucking air out of my house and exhausting it through the wall. This in essence creates a negative pressure in the house so cold air is being pulled in wherever it can get through. I have purchased a cold air intake and will be piping that in this weekend. The veterans here probably already new that but figured I'd throw it out there for any other newbs like me.

So far I am absolutely LOVING the stove. I bought this for our vacation home up north and my mother and wife were both telling me this was a big mistake. They wanted a real wood fire, or insisted we should get a gas stove if we weren't doing a wood stove. Mom has been up there all week raving about how nice this thing is. The flame is way better than expected for looks and the stove pumps some major heat. It's quiet, cheap, and easy to maintain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps up but to this point I am thrilled!

Reactions: johneh and Mt Bob