Venting Through Floor Joist Out to Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kashyshi

Jan 2, 2021
Atlanta
Hello-

I am new to the forum. We are building a home in GA. I bought a gas fireplace which will be installed in the middle wall on the first floor of the house. We did construct a chimney but our architect never considered building a frame on the second floor for chimney flue to pass. Now making one will ruin the design of the second floor. I am thinking of running the chimney flue vent pipe instead from the floor joist to the outside of the house ( see the attached diagram I hand-sketched). There will be 90 degrees turn in this proposed plan.

Is that possible or will that be a code violation or can I use a double-wall pipe? See attached picture of fireplace and vent I got from fireplace manufacturer. Not the vent on this fireplace only has a single hole, unlike some fireplaces that have 2 holes.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

PHOTO-2021-01-02-23-23-43.jpg PHOTO-2021-01-02-23-24-04.jpg PHOTO-2021-01-02-23-24-27.jpg

Please identify the manufacturer & model of your unit,
so we can look at the specifications for install & venting...

Hello - this is not from a US based manufacturer. I can tell you this is a direct vent gas fireplace controlled by remote. Their manual says single wall steel vent is good enough which is in the picture I attached. Trying to be double sure before we install so we don’t take any risks.

If it doesn't have a coaxial or co-linear venting system, it's NOT a direct vent by this country's standards. It's a B-vent.
Where it's manufactured doesn't mean much. We need the installation manual to see if what you want to do will be in
accordance with the fireplace codes of THIS country. What is the manufacturer & model #?

Company name is Jinan Lodor . Below is the video is working fireplace. Our fireplace is exactly same but smaller so it only has 1 vent.

Company name is Jinan Lodor . Below is the video is working fireplace. Our fireplace is exactly same but smaller so it only has 1 vent.

No install manual that I can locate. Unless you have one you can scan & post, we can't answer your questions.

Hello

Manual attached for the fireplace. Apologies as it is page by page but all pages are scanned.

Attachments

• 燃气壁炉 英文 P1.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P2.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P3.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P4.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P4.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P5.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P5.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 160
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P6.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P6.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P7.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P7.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P8.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P8.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P9.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P9.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P10.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P10.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 燃气壁炉 英文 P11.jpg
    燃气壁炉 英文 P11.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 191
Looks like you may be able to do what you want, based on the documentation you supplied,
as long as you can meet the Clearance to Combustibles requirements cited. You will probably
need to install a power venter as you are just about at the max horizontal limit for natural draft.

Reactions: kashyshi
Thx Daksy - your point on vent fan well noted. Even in the manual, they are recommending an exhaust vent fan to ensure the fireplace can work as expected.

Quick question on what kind of chimney flue to use. I see many options....

Can I use something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B0085VO8CC
Or do I need to use

Amazon product ASIN B00FZ9TN2C
Or would there be a separate recommendation given this is going via floor joist ?

What you are installing is very atypical to anything I have seen. Have you not considered installing something more common here. If this is power vented you will lose the benefit of it working in a power outage. Replacement parts may be very difficult for you to find as well.

The very fact that it is a "Gas Ftrlplsce Manual" would make me pull it out of my house.

Thx all for your input .....certainly it seems going via wall is not ideal so I am planning to go vertically up via chimney using a type B chimney flue.