Venting thru a gambrel roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
Are there any issues venting a stove thru a gambrel roof? It will be going straight thru the wall and then thr almost vertical portion of the roof.

Will there be water sealing issues? How much will it need to rise outside? Will it need to rise above the first 45 degree above it?

I will have her take a pic and I can post it here for reference. Maybe sometime later today.

edit: I have to confirm that it is a true gambrel, but I do believe that the vent would go thru a vertical portion that is roof shingled.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 338
I'm not sure what section of the roof you're referring to but if it's the "B" section, as long as you do it correctly, you should be fine...A friend of mine has the same situation except he has a wood stove...he had a roof flange (or whatever you call it) made for the specific pitch of the roof, and then installed it by removing enough shingles to make sure the flat part of the flange was sitting directly on the wood of the roof...sealed it with tar and then used a rubber membrane around it that was glued to the roof all the way around it for about 2 feet, "Pitchathane" I think he called it, and then reshingled around it again...it's been there for a few years and as far as I know, he has no leakage problems.

hmmmm, I really need her to take and send a picture. I am going from memory, but I think that this roof actually goes to a vertical that may be perpendicular to the ground and that would be where the vent passes thru. That being said, it would be more on the F side. I know see that the drawing does not open too big.

If it's the "F section, I would treat it much like going through a vertical wall but instead of two 90 degree elbows, use two 45 degree elbows (less horizontal flue and also easier to clean the flue later on) and still use a rubber membrane/pitchathane/ flange under roofing shingles just to keep out water.

Status
Not open for further replies.