Q&A venting two appliances into the same chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

i want to install a stove and vent it into the chimney pipe from my gas boiler. the existing pipe has an electrically controlled damper that opens when the boiler fires up. the gas fired water tank also vents into the same chimney already, above the damper for the boiler. there is no damper for the water heater. can i pipe a gas or pellet stove or fireplace into the existing system?

Answer:

It is not really recommended to pipe a wood or coal stove/fireplace into the same chimney as a gas appliance. Gas chimneys do not have to meet the same temperature standards as wood chimneys. In addition, you have no way of assuring that the chimney has the capacity to handle the BTU flow from both appliances.

My advice would be to keep different fuels in their own chimneys. The exception might be if it has been professionally done and inspected,

Status
Not open for further replies.