Venting when electricity goes down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Unit

Dec 14, 2010
Quebec
Hi,

I have a question regarding venting. Actually I don't have any kind of alternative power such as marine batteries if the electricity goes down. I was wondering if my pellet stove would be properly vented with only natural draft. Will any smoke be released in the house if my stove is vented only that way or do I need and alternative power source?

If the stove is properly vented only with a draft, do I need a minimum lenght for the PV?

Thanks

This is a stove specific question, the installation manual for the stove should speak to it.

If you do not provide for a natural draft sufficient to remove the combustion by products from the stove when the electricity fails you will get smoke in the house.

We have 3 pellet stoves here.

2 Whitfields and a Quad.

All of these stoves are direct vented.

We have had power outages with any and all of these stoves running.

SO far (knock on wood) we have never had more than a slight whiff of smoke smell in the room.

A stove thats vented up through a good chimney with some good height should not have any issues at all.

I did the direct vent for one very simple reason. I own a manufactured home and did not want to fight getting a chimney through the ceiling.

The vaulted ceilings with zero access to whats above just made it a task that I was not going to delve into.

Soooooooo I installed all mys toves with simple through the wall direct vent systems..

You should be fine with direct vents.

Good luck

Snowy

I have a Harman Accentra insert, when the power went out last year within 5 minutes there was a very smokey smell filling the house. I now leave it off if the power may go out.

It helps to have a length of vertical run at end of the vent. The heat will cause a draft pulling the smoke out side and not leaving it inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.