Venting/window clearance ? for 55-SHPEP pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SandInMaheye

Nov 25, 2010
Central NY
I have my 55-SHPEP pellet stove direct vented from my living room to the outside. i have a 45 degree elbow as the stove sits in the corner. When a friend of mine installed it, i kept saying it needs to have a verticle rise on the outside wall and he insisted that it did not need to (manual states it does, at least 3ft). The manual never shows it done this way, either. I dont have any problems with black soot or anything on the house, but my question is this..

Does this set up effect the performance of the stove? I have noticed hot air being blown outside. Is this normal? I have the cold air intake on an opposite wall as the exhaust pipe.
I just feel that my house should be warmer than it was this past winter. The heat never really left much further than the living room. some heat made it upstairs, as heat rises. my house is fairly open and I do admit that I have drafts coming in from doors, which may also be part of the keeping house warm issue.

is the only reason why people are against direct venting is because of soot/ash getting on the house?

2nd question.. do you know what the window clearance should be with this stove? I could have sworn I read it in the manual before installation but now I can not find it. maybe i am looking to hard and over looking it.

I have a feeling I am going to have to have this re-vented. The outside pipe is sealed with silicone. is this easy to 'remove' or am I SOL? I just want to make sure all specs are to code for inspection and the way it is vented, has me losing sleep. When I get a chance, i will take a couple pictures as to how it is vented to the outside and what the outside vent looks like, if it helps.

Thanks,

Sandie

From the manual: http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/25-EP_EPI.pdf

Do not mix and match components from different pipe manufacturers when
assembling your venting system (i.e. Do NOT use venting pipe from one
manufacturer and a thimble from another).
• We require a minimum vertical rise of 36 in. (3 ft.) of pipe to create natural
draft in the system, which helps evacuate smoke from the stove in the event
of a power failure or combustion blower failure.
• Venting systems 15.0 ft. or shorter may be composed entirely of 3.0 in.
pellet pipe; to reduce frictional losses, venting systems longer than 15.0 ft.
should be composed of 4.0 in. pellet pipe.
• Do not terminate the venting system directly beneath any combustible
structure such as a porch or deck.
• Follow NFPA 211 rules listed below for venting system termination location
relative to windows and other openings in the dwelling.
o NFPA 211 (2003 ed.) Section 10.4 Termination: 10.4.5
(1) The exit terminal of a mechanical draft system other than direct
vent appliances (sealed combustion system appliances) shall be
located in accordance with the following:
(a) Not less than 3 ft. (.91 m) above any forced air inlet located
within 10 ft. (3.0m).
(b) Not less than 4 ft. (1.2 m) below, 4 ft. (1.2 m) horizontally
from or 1 ft. (305 mm) above any door, window or gravity air
inlet into any building.
(c) Not less than 2 ft. (0.61 m) from an adjacent building and
not less than 7 ft. (2.1 m) above grade when located adjacent to
public walkways.
• Distance between the termination opening and grade should be a minimum
of 24 in. contingent on the grade surface below the termination. When
determining the termination height above grade, consider snow drift lines
and combustibles such as grass or leaf accumulation. In areas where
significant snowfall is possible, the termination height must be sufficiently
high to keep the termination free of snow accumulation.

I read all that in the manual, but it really didnt help me answer my question or maybe I was not reading it right. I thought I had read somewhere that it was 18" but could not find it within the manual, only online searches. Mine is 2ft to the right of a window and sticks out of the wall like 2ft. I could have read the 18" in the instructions from the vent kit I had purchased. I think this spring I will re-route the exhaust to go vertical 3ft, assuming I can break the silicone seal of the pipe(s) that is currently sticking out 2 ft. Is this difficult?

I saw the update and edited my post. I was confused with the owners manual with what part they are considering doors/windows. I think my best bet right now is to just re vent and go vertical 3ft. Do you agree? I know this will require me to purchase additional vent pipes, but thats ok with me.

SandInMaheye said:
..ya know. Now that I think about it, I may have read the 18" on the instructions from the vent kit I had purchased. Of course, now I can't locate those instructions. lol Sheesh! I will just have to go vertical as long as I can break the silicone seal on the vent pipe that's currently extending out of the wall 2ft. Is there any easy way of breaking the silcone seal, if need be?

Strap wrench, oil filter wrench...it's not that hard. Oh, and if you are venting outside...those pipes do not need silicone...cause they are outside.

Cool. thanks alot. My friend went silicone happy on me. I will do that. I'll go above the window at least 1ft since I am not 4ft horizontal from a window with how it is vented currently. I should sleep a little better now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.