Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mnice said:
Just curious why does a pellet stove need to be vented and Woodstoves, oil furnaces etc. do not?

They do.

To my knowledge all the appliances you have mentioned need to be vented up some kind of chimney.

Are you referring to the (OAK) better known as "outside air kit"?

My oil furnace installers installed a 5 inch vent coming in the furnace room, it is
not directly connected to the furnace, to minimize the effect of cold air running on the floor
they run the end of the flex pipe downward in a small container.

This brings me to a question....with that 5" vent coming in the furnace room, I'm not planning
on connecting it directly to the pellet stove so that my fresh air can be share by both furnace,
and avoiding installing a second one.
Very unlikely they will be running at the same time.....

Any comments ....thx :)

Mnice said:
Just curious why does a pellet stove need to be vented and Woodstoves, oil furnaces etc. do not?

Huh??

My woodstove is vented out a chimney.

My furnace is vented.

My pellet stoves are vented.

Without a vent, these appliances will emit CO into your home. Which is not good.

Are you reffering to an OAK? My Woodstove, LP furnace, and all my pellet stoves accept an OAK.

Actuality all new heating appliances should have an OAK. For one, if your home is air tight you need to have it as a negative pressure can cause problems for both the unit and occupants. Second, instead of pulling heat out of the house, the out side air circulates through the appliance. If you have a OAK on the furnace I would check with the town you live in to see if you can run two appliances off one OAK from the furnace. If not, ask them if you can install a larger diameter to accommodate the the two or simply just run a separate one for the pellet stove. Now if you have an older home the is leaky then the OAK could be optional but you will lose efficiency, making it harder to heat your home.

Mnice said:
My bad. Of course exhaust has to be vented.

I was refering to outside air.

Most new heating devices (wood, gas, LP, pellet, etc) whether its a stove or furnace for the household, should have an OAK. My Trane XV-90 LP (Propane) furnace for my house has an OAK.

As stated above, putting your home under negative pressure has ill effects.

With the information we have now why would anyone want to run a vent free propane or natural gass unit in their house? There is reasons why some states have them banned.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.