Q&A Ventless Logs make mantle too hot !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a majestic 42" fireplace which is 3 years old. My problem is- the mantle starts 7" above and 8" out from the opening. My unvented gas log heats this so much you cant touch it. The flu is left open now.. My question is: Can I buy a new front or should I tile around the front to deflect the heat away from the mantle?

Answer:

Are you using the "hood" that can be purchased to deflect heat away from the fireplace front? Even if you are- you may still be too close. A good standard "rule of thumb" is the one you are using..if it's too hot to touch- it's too hot ! You might have to make a custom "mantle heat shield" in addition to the hood. Worse of all- you may have to remove the mantle if nothing else works..

Status
Not open for further replies.