Ventless propane fireplace questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Euphman06

Mar 6, 2021
Pa
Doing some remodeling and had to tear down the wall behind my fireplace. It sure would be easier to work if I could remove this unit out of the way. If I turn the shut-off valve to off and unscrew where it attaches to the underside of the unit...I should be ok for removal right?

Also... Previous owner has small (about quarter inch) plywood under the unit lifting it off the wood floor. Does that really need to be there or can I just rest this thing on the wood box that was built for it to get it off the floor.

IMG_20210306_155627587.jpg

Doing some remodeling and had to tear down the wall behind my fireplace. It sure would be easier to work if I could remove this unit out of the way. If I turn the shut-off valve to off and unscrew where it attaches to the underside of the unit...I should be ok for removal right?

Also... Previous owner has small (about quarter inch) plywood under the unit lifting it off the wood floor. Does that really need to be there or can I just rest this thing on the wood box that was built for it to get it off the floor.

View attachment 275928
I would not leave that fitting disconnected without attaching a flare fitting plug into the open end once it is removed from the fireplace. I have seen the shut off valves leak and it could also be inadvertently jostled and cause gas to flow into the room.