Verdict in: Which Stihl for One/Two-Saw Plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use an 18" bar/chain on on my 361. Actually light-saber is the phrase my son used to describe it the first time he used it.

Good thing I went with a 16" spare--my new Husky Power Box wouldn't have fit anything larger.

I know, I know--it's a Husky box with a Stihl saw. The Stihl cases blow--can't fit much more than the saw whereas the Husky box fits a quart of bar oil, 2-stroke oil, file kit, gloves, glasses, chaps, manual, 16" bar, and 2 spare chains!

S

thinkxingu said:
Hello All,
Called my local dealer this morning and went to look at Jonsered 2156 and Stihl 361. Both felt good--the 2 pounds extra (over my 250) is noticeable, but these two are much better balanced, so I think it might be a wash in the long run.

Anyhow, ended up picking up the 361 as a result of cost and future uncertainty about this dealer selling JRed.

Good deal?: 361 w/18" bar, extra 18" chain, 16" bar & chain (all RSC), Stihl file kit, gallon bar oil, 6-pack 2-stroke oil: $640 out the door.

Now if I could just find some wood...

Thanks for the input everyone,

S

Well done.

I wouldn't have bothered with the 16" bar but $640 is a solid deal for all that.

Way to avoid the Dolmar bandwagon

this could lead to an interesting thread. I'll let someone else start it, but we need a "chainsaws in movies" thread. What chainsaw does Clark use to chop off the newel post in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? texas chainsaw massacre? other random "chainsaw cameos?" you get the idea.

I have a 361 and it is an awesome saw. It is a little more heavy than the 260, but it is a good all around saw with a good power to weight ratio. I have no regrets. It is competitive with a Husky 357xp and about $100 less than the Husky

hayrack, it is about a pound and a half more than the 260, but it seemed much better balanced for the time I was looking at them. Also, the 260 is 50 cc which comes out to 2.8 cc/inch with an 18" bar whereas the 361 is 59 cc and 3.3 cc/inch. Horsepower: 260 = .18 per inch, 361 = .25. Ultimately, I didn't think the 260 would have been a significant enough improvement over the 250 I already had. Plus, I have yet, literally, to find someone with a bad word about the 361.

S

Danno77 said:
this could lead to an interesting thread. I'll let someone else start it, but we need a "chainsaws in movies" thread. What chainsaw does Clark use to chop off the newel post in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? texas chainsaw massacre? other random "chainsaw cameos?" you get the idea.
wow, that's really weird. I swear I posted that in the "tinmans axe" thread.

Danno77 said:

Book'em, Danno! Buta as to moveis with chainsaws, I'm interested, too. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is long in the tooth. But I am curious as to what kind of a saw he was weilding in the movie..................

Bigg_Redd said:
I will very likely replace my 290 with a 361 or possibly a 441/460 within the year. IMO, the 361 is the ultimate 1 saw plan and it can be had for about $100 more than the 390

I agree that the 036/360/361/362 is the way to go if you only have room in the stable for one saw. But in a multiple saw plan, it's sorta neither fish nor fowl. Not appreciably more powerful than them in the 50cc class, but not significantly smaller than the 441/460s.

Ultimate 2 saw plan would be a 260 and a 460. Second runner up would be the new 211 and the 441 if you're mostly messin with small tops and the occasional big stuff.

So what's the verdict...................

thinkxingu said:
"Option 3: Ask for the cash to put towards my future Omega Seamaster Watch (I sold my Rolex Sea-Dweller a couple years ago for a down-payment on our house, and I’ve missed it ever since. Unfortunately, the new Dweller is $8K I think—too rich for my blood now)."

Hello All,
Called my local dealer this morning and went to look at Jonsered 2156 and Stihl 361. Both felt good--the 2 pounds extra (over my 250) is noticeable, but these two are much better balanced, so I think it might be a wash in the long run.

Anyhow, ended up picking up the 361 as a result of cost and future uncertainty about this dealer selling JRed.

Good deal?: 361 w/18" bar, extra 18" chain, 16" bar & chain (all RSC), Stihl file kit, gallon bar oil, 6-pack 2-stroke oil: $640 out the door.

Now if I could just find some wood...

Thanks for the input everyone,

S

Sorry, but I find it hilarious that you are asking if you spent $640 wisely on a chain saw when you would even CONSIDER spending 8K on a .........watch.............

Varna, things have changed since I bought the Rolex--I paid for college on my own and became a teacher, taking a 50% pay cut while adding $40K in loans, getting married, and buying a home! SO, the watches, cars, pens, cruises, expensive clothing, and $200 dinners are...GONE!

Woodmann, see above post for the verdict; I guess I'm a Stihl guy.

S

thinkxingu said:
Woodmann, see above post for the verdict; I guess I'm a Stihl guy.

Good virdict. Guess you're heading to town, eh..................

Bigg_Redd said:
IMO, the 361 is the ultimate 1 saw plan and it can be had for about $100 more than the 390

I'll second that motion.

I might, if I get some wood to cut. Everywhere I drive, I say to my wife..."I could cut that one down. And that one. And that one." And she replies, "you could cut them all down with that super-awesome saw you got."

She's amazing.

thinkxingu said:
I might, if I get some wood to cut. Everywhere I drive, I say to my wife..."I could cut that one down. And that one. And that one." And she replies, "you could cut them all down with that super-awesome saw you got."

She's amazing.

nope, tell her if you had a 660 to go along with that 361 then your sure the job would get done right..........

Actually, my next toy is a new watch or 4-wheeler. I think I'm gonna take the first couple weeks' pay from my summer job and buy me an Omega Seamaster in stainless w/black face. I'd like the quad (to replace my Warrior, which I sold for downpayment on a house, see above!), but I know that will turn into much more money in accessories and add-ons.

S

thinkxingu said:
Actually, my next toy is a new watch or 4-wheeler. I think I'm gonna take the first couple weeks' pay from my summer job and buy me an Omega Seamaster in stainless w/black face. I'd like the quad (to replace my Warrior, which I sold for downpayment on a house, see above!), but I know that will turn into much more money in accessories and add-ons.

S
wow, i've never needed to tell the time THAT badly. I'll stick with my Timex Expedition Classic (and Stihl 028). Any cheapo (i guess) watch and chainsaw that can last over 15 years is ok by me. (Although I am looking at a fancy new Expedition WS4 for next year's winter backpacking trip and ski trip so that I can track altitude with something other than a GPS.

thinkxingu said:

S

Go downtown in any large city and you can buy one of those expensive brand watches for a hundred bucks. At least it will sort of look like it and will tell time and every one will be impressed and then you can go buy that quad and have something useful.
leaddog

Yeah leaddog, and you can buy one of those Stihl or Husky knock-offs on eBay right now! I've got friends who own Bolex and Roley watches; I want the real thing. Besides, you can always tell a fake when it ticks.

Danno, I've got a Tissot T-Touch that I've used for my National Park trips--Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc. It looks real nice and has some nice features--thermo, altimeter, compass, etc.

S

What year was the Warrior.....................

Woodmann, the last quad I owned was a 1997 Warrior--I happened across it for $1500, because it had a "noisy engine." $70 and one timing chain later, and the bike ran sa-weet. I really liked that model. I sold it in 2001, for $2000, because I wasn't using it--I was spending most of my time with the girlfriend. One day later, said girlfriend (now my wife), said "why'd you sell it? I was hoping you'd teach me how to ride." Grrrrr....

S

Status
Not open for further replies.