Verdict is in. Dolmar 420

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Finally placed my order with my local repair guy. Dolmar 420. Can't wait to put it in my hands.

Slid by the shop this morning and paid for it. My saw store guy said it might be in tomorrow afternoon, so I might get to put it thru the paces this weekend.

I'm Jazzed.

davidv said:
Slid by the shop this morning and paid for it. My saw store guy said it might be in tomorrow afternoon, so I might get to put it thru the paces this weekend.

I'm Jazzed.

Great ! I Don't Know A Dannm thing About Them?

But If Your Zazzed, them I'm Jazzed!

Have Fun!!

Picked it up tonight. Only got a chance to start it up once. Can't wait to cut tomorrow. Wood, not myself.

davidv said:
Picked it up tonight. Only got a chance to start it up once. Can't wait to cut tomorrow. Wood, not myself.

Good luck its always fun to run a new saw...

It's 8:46 and he hasn't reported back yet. What's taking him so long? He should be done with his 2nd tank by now.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
It's 8:46 and he hasn't reported back yet. What's taking him so long? He should be done with his 2nd tank by now.

Matt

+1 9:05 should be filling her up again and grabbing a sandwich. (no report!)

Actually I have been lazy. made a fire went out and loaded wood bins, made some coffee and now I am just about to leave the house. I will take some pictures and post later today.

davidv said:
Actually I have been lazy. made a fire went out and loaded wood bins, made some coffee and now I am just about to leave the house. I will take some pictures and post later today.

Alright we need a couple time videos in the 8x8's...

davidv said:

Do you realize how much you've disappointed us? Now because of you, I've lost all interest in doing any cutting/splitting today.
Shame, shame, shame. You could have at least taken pics of the coffee making or SOMETHING.
Geez.

davidv said:

B.S.
You where waiting for it to warm up outside!

Take the saw back and order some wood cut/split/stacked!

You WHOOSSEY!

Just Kiddin !

Farmer Sue said:
davidv said:

B.S.
You where waiting for it to warm up outside!

Take the saw back and order some wood cut/split/stacked!

You WHOOSSEY!

Just Kiddin !

lol farmer sue spitten it stright!

Sorry guys. I left out of here right after I posted this morning. Cut up two oaks. Both were blown over next to the neighbor's driveway. One was hung in the trees.
Here we go.
It is definitely lighter and more manageable than the Husky and a lot more gutsy than the old Poulan it replaced.
The starting procedure is to put it on choke, give a pull or two till it turns over, then put it in the run position. It turned over on the first pull. Then started right up
woodafter.jpg

tree1before.jpg

So I started on this tree at the top and used the Dolmar up to about 6-8 feet from the stump when I let the damned thing get stuck from being pinched....so I cut it out with the Husky and restarted the Dolmar to finish it. I used the Husky on the two larges rounds. After getting the wood home I went to work on the second tree.
tree2before2.jpg

tree2before1.jpg

I used the husky to fell it and cut up to the crotch that was holding it up then used the dolmar for the rest of it. Also used the dolmar to cut down the Hickory that was in my way of getting to it.
Ran 3 full tanks thru it and was very pleased. for a 42 cc saw I found it to be very strong. Definitely a keeper.
DSC00205.jpg

I was at it for 8 hours today. Working a desk job has made me a wimp. The assisted spring action pull cord works great. Don't know how the longevity is on these things but the convenience is awesome. My saw shop guy did the crazy one hand pull thing where he was holding it by the throttle handle and pulled and it fired up and ran like a demon. I followed the instructions and started with one hand on the handle and my foot thru the throttle handle. The spring assist makes it jump a bit if you try holding by the crosshandle.

Nice woods.

I wish those woods were mine. I live in a rural neighborhood. I have about the smallest lot of just 1 acre. average lot size is 6 acres and the neighbor has about 40. So I have the luxury of being nestled in with a only one other house in view of mine. Since most people don't burn wood I never need to go more than a mile to fine hard wood to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.