Verification on Chimney Install needed please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
Bf and I are installing tomorrow, and of course he thinks he knows what he's doing, but I'd rather post it up here to be on the safe side. We purchased the stove with all of the piping used.

1. Bring in stove position in place.
2. Cut hole in ceiling.
3. Cut hole in roof.
4. Take 2X4 and make a support.
5. Attach #2 (thimble?) to ceiling.
6.This is what I don't get: #3 which I think is the adaptor has a plate attached on the other side, meaning it's only one sided. So if I take this plate off that would make sense right? I think maybe after the previous owner had electric heat, he might have attached that plate??? I dunno. The single wall is not supposed to pass through the ceiling, is this correct?
7. Then #4, with the plate side down, and the chimney pipe sits in there right?
8. Then we add the leghts on the roof, attach chimney cap.
9. Go inside, and attach the single wall with the heat shields that we purchased.

Looks right?

Attachments

• pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 419
  • pipe4.jpg
    pipe4.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 389
Part #3, also shown in photo 2, is a flue extender. This twist-locks onto the bottom of your bottom section of chimney, so when you stand the chimney in the support box (part #2) the single-wall stub protrudes downward into the room. You're going to attach your stovepipe to that stub.

Part #4 is an attic insulation shield. It installs on top of the ceiling joists, plate-side down, to keep insulation away from the chimney.

Part #1 appears to be a short lenth of single-wall snaplock stovepipe that has become unsnapped. Assuming you're going to install new stovepipe, you can discard this part.

Thanks Chimney Sweep!

I think I'm getting it..woo hoo! Crimp side down, seam at the back for the single wall correct?

Also, on the chimney pic as you can see in the picture, there is a ring around it, should that piece be the first going from the roof?

Attachments

• stainless.jpg
    stainless.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 358
That ring is a storm collar. You'll need to cut it loose and re-attach it just above the top of the roof flashing, sealing it with hi-temp silicone. The collar will shunt rain away from the 1" gap between the roof flashing and the chimney (see those spacers at the top of the flashing cone?).

looks like Selkirk pipe, if it is do you have the locking rings that go on it at the joints? I used their pipe and the joints were easy to twist and lock into place, so I do feel the locking rings are a necessity.
It does sound like you are getting it figured out.

Install not going very good, we ran into a rafter...can 2 45 degree elbows be used mid way from the ceiling to the stove?

Yes, the offset can be low at the stove (our installation) or high (Rick's installation). If single wall, be mindful that there is an 18" clearance to combustibles requirement. Putting an offset too high may affect the clearance to the ceiling (combustible).

Awesome! That is good. We have a single wall pipe that is 22" tall, and then the two elbows, and then a 17 " that connects to the stove pipe adaptor.

Thank you so much! It's pouring outside and the bf is up on the roof :(

OK I need to know what the chimney pipe sits on, what supports it because right now bf is thinking that it sits on the stove pipe adaptor which then sits in the thimble...all that weight of the chimney is then technically on the stove??

It looks like my set up and no your chimney pipe should not pass all the way threw #2.

thechimneysweep said:
You know, trying to figure out your last question I took another look at your photos. Has someone cut the bottom out of your support box? There should be a ledge there that the chimney pipe stands on.

By support box, do you mean the thimble? THe biggest black round piece? I don't understand if the chimney sits on the thimble...the thimble is connected to the wooden 2x4 that he made a box out of.

Yamaha_gurl said:
...can 2 45 degree elbows be used mid way from the ceiling to the stove?
45's are frowned upon. A pair of 30's would be better if you have enough run to get the desired offset.

The biggest black round piece is a ceiling support box. It mounts to surrounding framing so the large ring is flush to the ceiling. There should be a ledge all the way around the hole in the bottom for the chimney to stand on. If that ledge has been cut out, you'll need another support box.

Lip is there, what I was thinking is getting a ceiling support band...we went to about 4 different stores, no body had one, but we were told it's not a 100% must.

Status
Not open for further replies.