Vermont Casting Defiant Encore 0028 Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airmacs

Mar 26, 2014
Northeast- US
Hey everybody!

I have a question about the defiant encore 0028. I recently purchased a used one and it is in pretty bad shape. It appears to have been overfired because the lower are upper fireback are warped beyond use. (I knew this when I bought it). I figured i could just replace them and have a decent stove, because all the other parts seemed to be okay. What I didnt realize was that this model has a catalytic system that was missing from the stove. Not a single piece of it is there.

My question is: Is it possible to make this stove usable without the catalytic system? If I just replaced the upper and lower firebacks, could I burn in it like a non-catalytic stove?

Thanks for your time and wisdom!

No, you need to run the stove as designed. Otherwise it is just another smoke producing dragon! Plus, you will warp the inner parts in no time if you do what you suggest.

The short answer is no. You can burn it in "bypass" mode, which is what you're suggesting, but you will get much less heat than if you replace the catalyst package.

You will probably just melt the new fireback if you run it in bypass mode as well... that is one way to over fire the stove to inferno mode in about 45 minutes leaving the bypass damper open.

You will unfortunately have to get a new combustion chamber/fireback AND a catalyst... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.