Vermont Casting Reliance 2220 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raistlinalpha

Oct 6, 2014
Nashville Indiana
I recently purchased a house with a 2220 in it. I have looked through the forums and read about the potential issues and problems with this model.

I am in hopes that someone still has one in operation and/or someone who has repaired one.

This is what my unit is doing, please tell me if it is not working correctly.

The exhaust fan comes on as soon as the unit is plugged in.
Nothing particularly happens when I push the start button.
The auger engages and works while the start button is pressed but doesn't seem to operate any other.
The blower comes on when the thermostat switch is turned to stove and off thermo.
Nothing happens when you push the stop button.

The manual states that the exhaust fan should turn on when the start button is pressed, this unit starts when the stove is plugged in.

This leads me to believe I have a control panel issue or a thermal coupler which is a shame since this unit is in amazing shape.

Any input, advice, suggestions, experience that anyone could share?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does this unit have automatic ignition?

No, it does not have automatic ignition.

I see the last post about one of these units was back in 2010, so I might be chasing the wind. I just hate to scrap or pitch this thing since it is in beautiful shape. The only thing wrong with the unit is the front door locking lever is stripped besides the whole not functioning correctly thing.

I am going to be hitting up a few of the local fireplace/hearth stores in the area soon.

Sorry no personal experience with that unit. Maybe you can post your owners manual for us to look at. There maybe something in there that you are missing and a fresh set of eyes can help.

Sorry no personal experience with that unit. Maybe you can post your owners manual for us to look at. There maybe something in there that you are missing and a fresh set of eyes can help.

I attached the manual.
Let me give the description again of what the stove does.

The exhaust fan comes on as soon as the unit is plugged in.

Nothing particularly happens when I push the start button.

The auger engages only when the start button is held down but quits when it is released.

The blower comes on when the thermostat switch is turned to stove and off thermostat.

The heat control knob does not seem to impact anything, nothing changes whether it is left at the lowest setting or the highest. Auger does not engage, the blower nor the exhaust change speed with the control knob setting.

Nothing happens when you push the stop button, the exhaust still operates along with the blower.

I have burned a full pot of pellets and then added more pellets manually. The thing burns well but no feeding or real controls.

The doors are all sealed well and I did run the thing like this for a good amount of time, like I said, I was manually adding pellets.

I am a jack of all, master of nothing, so I am applying common sense from no real experience in my thoughts to this stove. I believe it is a control panel issue since the start button is malfunctioning and the exhaust comes on immediately upon plugging the unit in. If it wasn't for that and the stop button not shutting off the system, Some folks in these forums have commented that the electronics for this stove was supplied by Harmon. Another poster suggested the Harmon A....something looks similar and the control pane replacement for it might work but the controls are entirely different, no go on that one. I have scoured the web for replacement information on the panels but nothing.

I would possibly consider the thermostat since the auger is not feeding, possibly due to the control panel not sensing a fire. I plan on hot wiring the thermo for a test

I officially own the house starting Tuesday and can get into the stove to start playing around more seriously. Like I said, I hate to scrap or sell this thing since it is such a pretty unit and in physically perfect.

Thanks to anyone who gives me a few minutes of your time in adding any advice or suggestions. Also, if anyone reading this happens to know someone in the stove business, could you ask them if they have any experience/knowledge with these units.

Sincerely,
Derek

Attachments

• Vermont_Castings_RELIANCE_2220_pellet.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 937
Just read through your manual... 1991 wow! This stove operates like a Harman. I'm guessing the controls were made by Harman. If so, take a look at this thread, much of it may apply to your stove:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/

In your manual, Part #81 in the exploded view diagram is a J-Type thermocouple (it's probably similar to Harman's ESP), located in the exhaust The Troubleshooting chart points to it as a likely cause of your symptoms: "If thermocouple is open, feed motor will stop and the other motors will come on high". Start simple, check the wires & connections between it and the control board.

It looks like a nice stove, really hope you can get it running.

I agree with SwineFlue. I think your thermocouple is shot.

Thanks all of you, you are correct. The thermocouple was the problem.

I have one last operational question for you. I took your suggestion and it appears to be working as the manual suggests. I do have one operational question for you. I ran the stove for about an hour. Everything seems to be working correctly, auger feeding, start button engages the exhaust fan and the stop button shuts it down. At what point in time should the distribution fan engage? The two fans did not kick on. I know they work due to the way it operated while the thermocouple was malfunctioning. Does the stove need to heat to a certain degree before they engage?

I know ..... OLD thread from 2014 ..... but I may need to find it someday .... or someone else may benefit.

. At what point in time should the distribution fan engage? The two fans did not kick on. I know they work due to the way it operated while the thermocouple was malfunctioning. Does the stove need to heat to a certain degree before they engage?

Yes, they kick in when it's capable of putting out some heat.

Hi guys ling time since I have been here. Things have been crazy in my end.
28 years of doing this and I have no experience with this system.
I checked one out last week for a rental stove not feeding just like this post explains.
All fans are working but auger only feeds when you hold down start button.
Did a quick search online and figured it was the thermocouple because it was melted off in blower housing. I told tennants I would research and get back to them.
So are you saying all I have to do to get auger to feed is strip back wires and twist together?
This stove has not been taken care if for a decade

Attachments

• IMAG2573.jpg
    IMAG2573.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 261
Theoretically yes, but the length of the original wires may change the voltage output if you have to shorten them. I would have to try it, heres a good explanation of the theory lol

I like the video, it helps explain them. I just found this, I know .... OLD.

Lol yes its old but it does help folks understand that a TC doesn’t change resistance in a control situation, it creats voltages for different temperatures. :)

Reactions: tbear853