Vermont Casting Winter Warm Insert Small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Anyone have any experience with this model? I understand there are some that aren't too fond of VC right now. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model.

If you have; how big [or small] of an area were you trying to heat? Did it meet your needs? How was the blower on it? What type of burn times did you experience?

As far as my needs and expectations:
-I am hoping to heat 500-600 square feet of space.
-More would be better, but the home design would make it tough to expect much more than that
-Burn times, when choked down for over night, of about 7 hours

My concerns are:
-Small fire box of 1.26cuft (vs. the Napoleons 1.7cuft)
-30,000 btu (vs. the napoleon's 50,0000)

I am only comparing the Napoleon as it is another stove that I know will fit into the allotted space. I would prefer the VC as the visual design is more appealing and would look better in the kitchen and the pricing is quite close.

I appreciate any information or experiences any of you may have.

*Bump*

Anyone?

Im in the process of choosing a stove now and I decided to stay away from the small fireboxes, I want a bigger firebox to go longer between loadings. I think the napoleon sits father out on the hearth so you may get more heat with that one too. I just looked at the napoleon friday but I have my heart set on the BK Princess and I think it fits so that will probably end up being my choice.

Ok, based on my research I am not going with the Winter Warm Small. It is just too damn small. So I am looking at Jotul, Regency, Osburn, and Napoleon. The Napoleon seems to be the odd man out as I did not like the look of it in person (though, the price was right at $1100).

My fireplace is opening is 35 ¼” wide 26” high. The surround can not measure larger than 46" x 34 ½".

I am hunting for an insert too (you might consider checking out Lopi inserts as well). Just thought I'd say that you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to the surrounds that the insert manufacturer offers. A local dealer near me often uses a small sheet metal shop to do surrounds - of course they are simple in design, but you can get the size you want and often they are cheaper.

Good luck!

I recommend checking out Buck stoves. The ones I've used have been easy to use and trouble free. Most of the Buck stoves can be used free standing or as an insert.

http://www.buckstove.com/

I recommend checking out Buck stoves. The ones I’ve used have been easy to use and trouble free. Most of the Buck stoves can be used free standing or as an insert.

The buck 91 insert is my second choice. I might have to do some finagling to get it to fit, the BK princess will fit for sure. If it doesnt fit in my upstairs fireplace I can always put it in my fireplace downstairs. I keep going back and forth on this.

weatherguy said:
I recommend checking out Buck stoves. The ones I’ve used have been easy to use and trouble free. Most of the Buck stoves can be used free standing or as an insert.

The buck 91 insert is my second choice. I might have to do some finagling to get it to fit, the BK princess will fit for sure. If it doesnt fit in my upstairs fireplace I can always put it in my fireplace downstairs. I keep going back and forth on this.

I can't do the 91 as it has an 8" flue. Also, I think it might be too large for the area I hope to heat. It might be good for a third stove when I install a stove in the Living Room.

Thanks for the Buck recommendation. I was not familiar with them before.

BrowningBAR said:
Ok, based on my research I am not going with the Winter Warm Small. It is just too damn small. So I am looking at Jotul, Regency, Osburn, and Napoleon. The Napoleon seems to be the odd man out as I did not like the look of it in person (though, the price was right at $1100).

My fireplace is opening is 35 ¼” wide 26” high. The surround can not measure larger than 46" x 34 ½".

You're missing the depth of the firebox. Based on the two dimensions shown, you should be able to fit into quite a few inserts. I have the Hampton HI300 and about 8" sits on the hearth. May be too much heat for the 500 sq ft. Hampton also has a smaller insert (HI200) that sits flush against the hearth face. Hampton's are Regancy's with Cast faces to pretty them up.

stejus said:
You're missing the depth of the firebox. Based on the two dimensions shown, you should be able to fit into quite a few inserts. I have the Hampton HI300 and about 8" sits on the hearth. May be too much heat for the 500 sq ft. Hampton also has a smaller insert (HI200) that sits flush against the hearth face. Hampton's are Regancy's with Cast faces to pretty them up.

At it's deepest the fireplace is 29 1/4"

I did look at the Hampton online previously. I really like the look of the HI200. My concern is understanding the firebox vs BTU setup. 55,000 BTU is better than the Vermont Castin which is only about 30,000. The Firebox is only 1.4 cu. ft (which is a a bit larger than VC's 1.26 cu.ft.). I am ok with a small firebox if it pushes out enough heat and if it can give me a 6-7 hour burn.

I would like something like the HI200 as I like the look of a stove that is relatively flush with the hearth face.

I'll second the recommendation to give Lopi a look. The Answer insert would fit your opening, and it throws a lot of heat. Probably more expensive than some of the others you may be considering, but well built and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.