1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vermont Castings 1977 Vigilant, noob

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by mikepinto65, Nov 5, 2008.

1. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    that stove should be the same as my defiant. if you want to make sure that the secondary is running shut down the lights in the room and look into the secondary air inlet next to the side loading door and you should see a bright light from the fire ranging from yellow to i seen whitish blue. one thing i did in my defiant to help cushion the temp in the secondary camber was to slide in a brick in the hole on the right side of the stove where the secondary chamber is and sit it under the air manifold. on the defiant it fit perfect and it helped with secondary so much that i can interrupt the burn for more wood and close it down again for relight. and the brick helped keep the stove from turning red in a small spot on the side of the stove with the secondary fire.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ryk

Ryk New Member

the secondary is on the side near the back, not getting a visual

is there any vigilant owners, out there, that can confirm they can see burn it secondary?
  3. Ryk

Ryk New Member

thanks i will give this a shot when i stop burning
  4. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    If you are looking into the stove at the fireback, you will see a chamber at the lower right rear corner. This is the secondary burn chamber. The air supply for the secondary burn is located on the left side of the stove (outside) in the lower rear corner. There is a round hole covered by a "teardrop" looking cover. This hole should be open when burning the stove to supply air to the secondary burn chamber.
  5. Ryk

Ryk New Member

Ya but can you actually see burning in the little hole, with teardrop cover, on the Vigilant?
    apparently you can on the Defiant
  6. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Yes you can see it, especially when you first close the damper.
  7. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    If the five holes in the lower fireback are not plugged up and are kept free of ash AND there is not a big build up of ash back behind the fireback, there is nothing more you can do. If you're still having a slow, smoldering fire it's most likely due to poorly seasoned wood.

How are you keeping your primary set? I close up my primary and secondary at bed time and the stove burns hot all night long leaving me some big hot coals in the morning.

Don't get too wrapped up in accomplishing a secondary burn. That "secondary flap" is just another source of air. Not a source of fire.