vermont castings 2190,1992 upper fireback gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quiverpup

Aug 27, 2008
lewis co. ny
hello.new to forum,have been reading posts on here for a few weeks and really like site. i have a 1992 defiant encore that been run hard. i got a hold of it a few weeks ago and have torn it down.the lower fireback was warped and cracked.catalyst was disintegrated and area full of ash. the combustion throat was warped.OUCH,burned HARD.on the plus side,the refactory is still solid,everything is there and after reading the posts on this forum im convinced its restorable. have purchased lower fireback,throat,gasket and gasket kit from blackswan.will check all seams. my questions are as follows.1-is there gasket material for upper fireback? i assume there is.mine had none but i see channel and i downloaded manual and it says 3.5' of 3/16"used.howevr,maintenence section does not mention it under other gaskets.do i use the 3/16" and is there any other areas on this piece to seal? 2-there is a broken off bolt that appears to hold combustion throat in place along with the tabs.am i right? its 1/4" threaded,but how long?its on bottom of upper fireback,to the right and casting has indentation as does damper.sorry about extensive post,new to these stoves but i am willing to learn how to fix anything and this stove IS going to heat my home for the winter and hopefully many more to come. thanks in advance for any help-chris

Hey Chris,

Did you ever get answers to your questions? I just bought the same stove and will be doing some of the same repairs...any advice or suggestions?

I have the same stove, I think, mine is an Encore 2190, circa 1993, and I am also struggling with the removal of the upper fireback. I was successful in removing the lower fireback, which is held in with two wedges, but the upper fireback/damper is more challenging. From what I can see after removing the lower fireback, there appears to be gaskets behind the upper fireback as well, now I just need to get mine out! I think it is held in with two bolts, but I'm not sure...
Bill

phishheadmi andpostand beam,no never got answers.the upper fireback is held in place with 2 bolts. they are 1/4",(7/16" head) and are in the back of stove a couple inches down from top on sides.one of mine was broke and i broke other one! be CAREFUL. i work in a paper plant and had the maintinence guys remove the remains for me. any local machine shop can do same if yours break.the bolts are grade 3 crap from factory. i replaced all mine with stainless steel. i dont know about gaskets. no one wants to answer.as far as the throat,im gonna use the old one and put a bead of cement on the pin flanges and hope it holds. my pipe outlet "plate"(not sure what its called) looked bad also and upon removal the gasket was shot.you should check that too. i cant find any other info on this stove other than this site so i wish you guys luck and hope we can fix these things before long.hope this helps!postand beam, hang onto that upper back when you remove bolts. dont let it fall! phishheadmi,im an old deadhead,peace and warmth.

Thanks quiverpup, I appreciate your help with this. I am going to tackle the removal of the upper fireback tonight. I did stop at my local VC dealer yesterday, and they quoted me $601.00 for the fireback kit. My concern is that I'm not sure I need everything in the kit, and may be able to get away with just buying the upper fireback, and using my existing damper. I'll know more, when I carefully remove those two bolts, and actually get my upper fireback out.
Listening to Cumberland, ME, 9-17-82, Candyman, as we speak, my world was a bit darker when Jerry left.
Bill

bill,you can call me at 315 376-8769 if you want.will be around this weekend.have a few leads on parts and might be able to give you some tips on resto.or [email protected]. also looking for garcia cd from "music mtn.",dont know exact venue or year but have scratchy old casette of it and its awsome! jerry in rare,rocking form.-chris

bill,you can call me at 315 376-8769 if you want.will be around this weekend.have a few leads on parts and might be able to give you some tips on resto.or [email protected]. also looking for garcia cd from "music mtn.",dont know exact venue or year but have scratchy old casette of it and its awsome! jerry in rare,rocking form.-chris

Thanks for the offer, I may very well take you up on it. I'll take a look for that Jerry disc, I assume you're talking a live one, any idea on the date? I just found a lot of sound board quality stuff, GD, from the 80's and 90's, and it makes me just smile, smile smile...
Bill

I don't think I have that in my catalog, but just put out a request to my guys, if they don't have it, no one does! I'll let you know.
I stopped at my VC dealer last night and priced the Fireback replacement "kit", with upper, lower, refractory etc. and they quoted me $601.00. I don't know if I need all of this, so I'm thinking about buying just the Upper Fireback Assembly and Lower Fireback. Black Swan quoted me $147 for the assembly, and $99 for the lower fireback. My only concern is that will both of these replacement parts address the issue of not being to fit my combustion throat piece back in properly? I am not seeing anything else back there which receives the two "ears" on the combustion throat piece...
Bill

bill, send me a note at qiverpup@hotmail and i'll send you a couple pics of inside stove.shows combustion throat in place and locater tabs.if your upper fireback is solid and not warped you should not need one.my stove is back together and working,i can help you determine what you need. chris

Hey all,

Just to let everyone know, I ordered on Tue or Wed the fireback kit from hearthandstove.com...the cost was $490 and he said his supplier had three. I just got the call that he received the kit and was shipping it out to me this morning. I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday and hope to have the stove operational by the end of next week. Everyone's help on this has been great, and persistence definitely paid off as I had to call quite a few dealers before I could find someone who was able to track this down for me...kudos to Mike at Hearth and Stove! I'll continue to keep everyone updated on the progress...

Chris, I just sent you an email about the pics you mentioned...

Thanks again everyone...

Matt

phishhead, did you get your upper stove back yet? I just picked mine up from my local dealer, and I'm a little confused. In the middle of the damper, there are two threaded holes, and I'm trying to understand what they are for?? I'm also having a heck of a time getting the screw out of the external damper handle to remove the damper rod so I can complete getting my old upper fireback out. If anyone has any tips to removing this screw or an alternative way to disconnect the damper handle, I would greatly appreciate it!
Bill

postandbeam,

I just got the shipment, everything looks good but I've not even started the disassembly yet. I'll probably get started tomorrow night. Hope everything goes well for you!

Matt

Matt,
I picked up my upper fireback last night, but in the new fireback, in the middle of the damper, there are two threaded holes, but they are not in the middle of my old damper. I do not know what these are for??

Status
Not open for further replies.