Vermont Castings DEFIANT 1975 (almost finished rebuilding questions)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grumpys-Garage

Dec 13, 2013
Friendship, WI
I collect and restore cars and started dabbling with these old stove and have found I like it.

I picked up an old 1975 which had the one piece fire back and of course it was badly cracked. I've welded cast before but I'm presuming since there was so much creosote build up in the cast I couldn't get a weld to work.
I ordered the Woodman's Parts rebuild kit for the back which included the new 2 piece back, baffle and leg and a new secondary air tube. I'm at the point of the rebuild where I'm doing a "dry test build" first and I have a couple questions.

1) The instructions say to remove and discard or save the right side secondary air tube. Is this correct? It fits and doesn't make sense to me.
2) Is the new secondary air tube they sent for the right side?
3) Behind the two piece fire backs there's a piece of screen that's supposed to be installed and I presume cemented? The instructions aren't very clear on this. I'm thinking it just goes inside the "V" formed when you put the first (lower) fire back in place (on top of this then cemented)?
4) There is a triangular shaped piece of metal that I believe was on the LH side of the stove inside that forced between the fire back and the back of the stove to hold it in tight. I the "Top To Bottom And Back Again" instructions there is NO information about re-installing this and it's not in any of the parts blow-ups. ???
5) Last question, on the LH side to the lower left hand corner of the door on the stove side there is a round hole with nothing over it. It looks like at one time there may have been a one screw type of shield that went over this hole???

I'd appreciate any help or advice asap as I do not want to proceed to the wet build stage until I know for sure about this stuff.

Thanks,
Grumpy

Hi, Im in the same boat were does the screen go ? the diagram shows a t shape.. and will a section of regular metal screen work. I didn't buy a kit but I do have a 2 part fire back...

that screen has to be metal and is shaped like a v. it goes between the back of the stove and the fireback so as to divide the lower primary air section to the upper secondary air section

Did you take any photos during your rebuild? I will have to do this on my stove soon-ish due to the same problem as you. I'm hoping to make it through the winter at least so I can rebuild it when I don't need it.

i didn't take any pics but i can tell you this. getting the right amount of cement in there is a experience thing. if not enough it's no good because the air from the primary can mix with the secondary air and vise versa. if to much you block the air to the secondary manifold. i used a extremely long screwdriver to shape the canal. i've also learn the corner at the entrance hole for the secondary to the left bottom has the long tie rod there don't cement that corner so the tie rod has no cement and to the corner of the stove. at first i thought i would get the stove nice and tight, but the stove would close up the primary air because it was hot enough it would start to cool the stove then the secondary fire would get put out. if i left something to hold the primary door open a bit that would solve the problem. so if i were to leave that corner open when the primary air closed it would still get a little more air from the secondary air inlet. i don't know if @defiant3 does this but from my experience it's worth it.

This might sound weird, but is it anything like RTV or Plumbing putty? I assume the cement is meant to kind of squish out a bit. Thanks for the heads up about the manifolds.

no it's not like either. it's like mortar but can withstand more heat. min temp on the stuff is 2000 degrees but i have found and don't remember brand or where i got it 3000 degrees. the cleaner you get the metal the better it sticks.

Wow, that sounds like it's easier to deal with.

it's not that bad. it's like the best mortar or spaghetti if you flick it onto a wall it will stick.