Vermont Castings Defiant Encore damper control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mutt

Oct 26, 2009
North Texas
New to this website. Looking for help on Vermont Castings "Defient Encore" model bought in 1997. Used the stove for 6 years and took it with me when I moved to another home. Stove has sat unused in shop and now wish to install again. As I look it over before installing, I notice that when I move the damper control on lower right side of unit, the damper "door" does not move. I can reach into the top loading door and move the damper door by hand tho. Do you suppose the stove has to be hot before the damper control moves the damper door?

mutt said:
New to this website. Looking for help on Vermont Castings "Defient Encore" model bought in 1997. Used the stove for 6 years and took it with me when I moved to another home. Stove has sat unused in shop and now wish to install again. As I look it over before installing, I notice that when I move the damper control on lower right side of unit, the damper "door" does not move. I can reach into the top loading door and move the damper door by hand tho. Do you suppose the stove has to be hot before the damper control moves the damper door?

I had a VC Defiant/Encore 2550. The damper control was located on the side of the stove body top left rear when facing the stove, the primary air control was top right front of the stove body. Sounds to me like maybe you're moving the primary air control lever and not the damper lever?? There is a metal rod that controls the damper, follow it to where it exits the stove body and that's the lever you use to operate the damper.

Good luck!

NP

The damper control rod may have separated from the clip that secures it to the damper.
Theres a small screw that holds the clip to the damper door & the damper control rod
fits behind that clip...

Status
Not open for further replies.