Vermont castings Defiant Encore should I buy? See pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skirby1212

Jan 6, 2016
Massachusetts
Wondering if I should buy this stove? Intentions would be sandblasting, recoating, all new gaskets, new cat and new refractory if necessary. I know from posts these stoves can be temperamental but willing to try. For the experienced people here can you see anything in the pics that would steer you away from this stove? The owner had it given to him and he never used it so knows little about it.

He's asking $250.00 but I'm sure is willing to negotiate. If it's worth buying how much do you think it's worth?
Thanks
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'd think you'd have quite the challenge sandblasting and repainting that enameled finish to satisfaction. I wouldn't think that would come off very easily. And with the finicky reputation that stove has really might not be worth the trouble. YMMV....

I love both my VC stoves. It will be a project. Check the hood and fireball to see if they are warped. As well as the upper fire back. You should repost this in the 2015/16 VC owners thread. Lots of guys more experienced than myself will be able to help you out.

Welcome! The chipping paint can be indicative of consistent over-firing, but I only see it on the top. It's hard to tell because of the dust. A bunch of logs may have been dropped on the top, or slamming down of the griddle plate over time would do that too. The firebacks don't look warped in the photos, but you should make sure the damper opens and closes easily. You should take the catalyst access cover off and check the condition of the catalyst and refractory. It's not uncommon for both to require replacement.

These stoves are kind of finicky to run, and parts are expensive. If it's been consistently over-fired, expect it to need a complete rebuild. I also agree that sandblasting and repainting would be difficult, but I don't know about that whole process and reapplying the paint. I would at least look into the price of parts (glass, stiff wire gaskets that go between the glass plates, refractory, catalyst, etc). Depending on what it needs (and it definitely needs some of those things), you might be into many hundreds of dollars.

Nice old Wheel Horse in the background. We have one just like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.