1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

vermont castings defiant encore stove issue

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by Jon Lloyd, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jon Lloyd

Jon Lloyd New Member

I have had this stove in my house for 5 years and about a year ago the lever that switches from regular vent to catalyst vent stopped working. It is stuck in the non-catalyst position. I don't want to force it and break something, but it will just not move. I have opened up the back cover and cheked the catylyst and cleaned it out. Any ideas how to free this mechanism?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Need to know a little more, like the model number. Likely it's a 2140 or 2190 which have these annoying little tabs that often fail. Just a first guess, but a good one.
  3. defiant3

Loc:
    No. NH
    Wait- back cover? So it's a 2140. If you remove the pipe and look in through the flue collar, and close the damper by hand, you'll see the rod that makes the damper move. It SHOULD be held down by a steel clip, but I bet the clip is bent, warped, or not there at all. Have a look. U may need to remove the flue collar to get this to happen.
  4. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    I know this will upset some...and John...this discussion has been an ongoing discussion, and if you haven't been chimed in on this...One more point for the non cats. And don't get me wrong...I like the idea of cats. If that makes sense!
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This problem can happen with a non-cat top loader's bypass control too. Cams can get loose and need adjusting occasionally. Air controls sometimes need adjustment on non-cats. Maintenance eventually needs to happen with most stoves when containing a 750F fire on a round the clock basis.
    Defiant, BrowningBAR and neumsky like this.
  6. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

You will either need to remove the lower & upper fireback and damper assembly or the back casting of the stove in order to gain access to the damper controls. Removing the lower & upper fireback and damper assembly is easier to accomplish than removing the back casting. But, you will need to replace the gaskets before you resemble the stove.

EDIT: Also, this is not a Pre-EPA stove. If possible, it should be moved to the main Hearth forum for more visibility as there are several Encore owners that are members here.
    pen likes this.
  7. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    This is incorrect information. Owners of the Lopi Leyden have also had issues with the damper control. The Leyden is a non-cat stove. This is more of an issue with downdraft styled stoves.
  8. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Rear cat stove, could also be an 0028, D3 has you on the right track. Post photos and we can help more:cool:
  9. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    This is not incorrect info...everyone knows that more moving parts means more breakdown parts.
  10. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Which has nothing to do with a cat stove as the non-cat stove example I just provided has as many moving parts as a cat stove.
    Defiant likes this.
  11. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    C'mon...now your telling me...there's as many parts for a non cat vs a cat???
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

On some stoves with by-pass (lots of Lopi's) and/or downdraft, there can be.
    BrowningBAR likes this.
  13. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Having a hard time with this one...so your saying there's as many moving parts on a cat as a non cat???
  14. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Yes. On down draft stoves particularly. Lopis and Harman stoves come to mind.

Again. The only additional moving part on a VC cat stove that doesn't exist on, say, a Jotul, is the damper flap which is a solid piece of cast iron that is connected to a rod. This set up exists on non-cat down draft stoves as well.
  15. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

How many "moving" parts do you think is on a Cat stove? ?
    Defiant likes this.
  16. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    To put this in perspective, I just got rid of a 35 year old, Pre-EPA Vigilant that had just as many moving parts as a cat stove.

This doesn't mean you should like cat stoves. For some, it just isn't their cup of tea. But, moving parts should not be the reason you do not like a cat stove.

Now, if you want to complain about a VC stove you can complain about the amount of maintenance they require (which is high when compared to other stoves), the abundance of gaskets that are used (which is a lot when compared to other stove), their poor use of materials in both the cat and non-cat stoves (The old cat assemblies, the everburn materials, and the materials used in the Resolute), their expensive choice in catalysts, their previously poor parts support, but,moving parts is not the issue.

All that being said, I've got my VC stoves running like champs and I look forward to finding a used 2-in-1 Defiant and Encore several years from now from someone that couldn't figure them out.
  17. Defiant

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    [​IMG]
    pen likes this.
  18. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Where's the "WTF" button when you need it?==c
  19. defiant3

Loc:
    No. NH
    Seriously. Encore wins awards for like most over engineered anything on the planet. It has more moving parts than the space shuttle.
  20. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

I think it needs more gaskets...
  21. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Welcome to the site Jon, how are you making out?

pen
  22. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    You haven't worked on a VW Eurovan I take it. ==c
  23. Defiant

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    I think Jon has left the building:cool:
    pen likes this.