Vermont Castings Defiant KNOCK OFF? REPLICA? anyone heard of this??? pic attached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In looking for a vintage Defiant, we ran across this CL ad in Illinois...guy said it is a 'replica' ....huh? we looked at the photos, sure looks close. He said it even has the little flapper on the back that we used to love listening to as our old one puttered along..

he says it has HH Industries on it but cannot find a thing about them....

anyone have any info on this???

Attachments

• woodstove-1.jpg
    woodstove-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 9,859
99% sure its a taiwan knock off. The dimples are a dead giveaway. I think Scandia or someone made em back in the day. If your looking for a vintage Defiant, this is not your stove. If your looking for a big cast iron stove, this one may be worth a few hundred bucks if the inside was 100% warp and crack free.

Frank is right on this one.....definitely a knock-off. Some were private labeled, although most were Scandia. I don't know what HH industries stands for......

One company, I think, made an American Defiant Knock-off for a short time - that is the Olympic Crest model.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30194/

Wow, memories. Forgot about the Olympic Crest until now. I actually rebuilt one of them. No new parts of course, just resealed, regasketed and repainted.

I bought a scandia 315 in 1979. I have seen an Olympic Crest that looked just like it. I finally cracked the fireback on my Scandia 3 years ago, and just finished replacing the fireback with a two piece one from a Defiant. It took some grinding to get it to fit, but it appears good. Going to fire it up on my patio several times this fall before it goes back in the house.

Interesting. Never tried to mod a defiant fireback kit for a scandia. The old stoves forums makes me really wanna get back into rebuilding stoves again.

Status
Not open for further replies.