Vermont Castings "Defiant" vs Quadrafire "Isle Royale" vs Jotul "600 firelight"....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Super-Hunky said:
Okay, I think I may have finally have goten a pic of the inside of our log home resized to stick!.

As I mentioned, this is an EXTREMELY open floorplan. I'm not really sure how to figure the livable sq footage because they count only the actual floorspace. If the upstairs loft was all filled in with "livable" sq footage, as opposed to open air space, the sq foot amount would be even higher than it is.

I know I have a LOT of space or "volume" of air to heat which is why I don't want to make a poor choice of stove. The open three sided penninsula fireplace in the picture (not rocked yet) will be a feature in the home, but unfortunately worthless for heat.

I know your thinking "why not convert the large free standing fireplace into an actual heating unit"... That makes TOTAL sense!!.. I know, but my wife REALLY wants this "decorative" feature in the house and wants all three sides exposed.

I plan on putting a large wood stove just in front of the vertical log post supporting the second floor. (in front of kitchen). As you can see from the pic, its a straight shot to the roof with no obstructions. There are also three ceiling fans ready to blow heated air back down.

SO, back to the original question, do you guys think I will be able to heat this area with a wood stove?

That is possibly the best house to heat with a stove I've seen around here. Get a big one though!! A nice big Defiant would look real nice there. Go for it. Oh, and stop over thinking it. Just pick a stove and install it. At some point you'll figure out that it is a ford vs chevy, or maybe a ford vs a Volvo. A big Englander would do great, it's just not as pretty as the VC. Or maybe it's a Chevy vs a Jag. A big Englander would do great, it's just not as elegant as a Woodstock.

That house is the cure for "I don't want to heat myself out of the room.". Won't happen with whatever you buy. That place cries out for a big Quad steel stove, a PE Summit/Alderlea or the Englander 30-NC. We can tell ya what heats well. Deciding what you like to look at in a stove as "furniture" is 100% a personal decision that nobody can advise you on.

But as we say at the poker table "Think long. Think wrong.".

And as to wood consumption, you are going to burn a bunch of pine no matter what stove you buy. You are going to burn a bunch of anything you use to heat that space. Be it electicity, gas wood, old tires or whatever.

I've been in a few log homes that size that were only heated with a wood stove. They were vacation homes and we did drain the water lines when we left but it was set up for that so no big deal. When you go there they were cold and the big stove, the biggest country stove in this case, took so many hours per 10 degrees but it was certainly possible to heat the place. Now to be fair I will admit that it was cold until it warmed up but once the logs were warm and the air was warm we were able to turn the stove down to a more moderate burn.

A single large woodstove can easily heat that space. It will be work to keep the fire going but that is the same for anyone burning as primary heat.

Go big here on the stove. I use a 3+ CF firebox LOPI and evergreen firewood and would not want a smaller stove at all if trying for overnight burns on our less dense forest wood. You will need all the room you can get to fit in loads of wood. This will not only allow overnight burns but also less frequent fills during the day.

One thing I forgot to mention, when you look at this picture, you are only seeing about 1/3 of the inside area (due to the room configuration and where I was standing to take the pic).

I will attempt to post another pic of the outside to give you all a better perspective of the volume of room to heat.

from the replies I have been given, I now have a new list of contenders; they are as follows:

.Hearthstone Mansfield (or mega sized new "equinox")
.PE Summit Clasic or altadera..sp?
.Englander 30
.VC DEfiant cat or non-cat.

The quad 5700 and Blazeking 1107 would also work but wife is not keen on the steel stove looks (even though their specs are incredible)...chick thing.

Anyway, from the list above, did I miss any of the "Big-boys" or is that pretty much all of them in terms of free standing stoves?

Attachments

• rsz_ParksHouse 007.jpg
    rsz_ParksHouse 007.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 590
If she doesn't like the looks of a steel Quad then she won't like the 30-NC either. There seems to be only one woman in exsistence that loves the look of the 30 and she is taken.

Edit: Gotta make that two. Her sister was here last month and really likes it too.

What a gorgeous place you have there. I think that Defiant will look and work great in there.

Hey Bart:

I showed my wife a pic of the Pacific Energy "Summit Classic" and she actually liked the simple looks and lines of it!

So now I may be down to three choices:

.Mansfield
.PE Summit classic
.VC Defiant

Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I see it, the best performing stoves (or at least the ones with the least maintenance) are the ones with the fewest openings. What I mean is that some stoves only have a front opening, while other may have several (front, side, or top load). On stoves that have multiple openings, there may be more chance of unsealed air leaks. For this reason, I am wondering if the Mansfield or the PE Summit would be a better choice than the Defiant as they both only have one single big door as oposed to the defiants 2 front doors as well as a top load openeing?

I know that BeGreen really likes the Mansfield, I wonder if the PE Summit will work just as well?

Again, thanks for all the replies.

I have never owned a top loader because of having my stoves half-in and half-out of the fireplace. But if I had the option I would take a top loader in a heart beat. It has to be wonderful to just lift the lid and drop the wood in. As to leaks, the weight of the lid will hold a seal just fine. You shouldn't have to change the door gasket on a top loader as often so the top gasket is a wash maintenance wise. Only costs twenty bucks and fifteen minutes work anyway.

As to the Summit. It is a hoss. Go directly to your PE dealer. Do not pass GO. Then take out a second mortgage for all of the pipe you are going to need up to the roof of that place.

Agreed and decided. You'll do well with the PE Summit. Simple, flexible and a damn fine stove. For more info on installation, colors, etc. look on: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com

I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle........ keep it simple Super-hunky!Any stove with only one opening=one gasket=less to go wrong=less maintenance.P.E. makes simple,efficient stoves designed to be heaters;not furniture.Glad to hear the Mrs. likes the Summit, that stove would likely work well in your application.BTW-did she look at the large Alderlea?What did she think?

BeGreen:

You are just a wealth of information, I feel like I owe you commission or something. That little "click a feature" on that chiney sweep web site is really cool. It lets you see the stove in gold trim, black mat, nickel etc. I personally like the brushed nicket trim.

Titan:

Both my wife and I looked at the new T-6 Aleradera...sp?. It is exactly the same unit as the Summit and Summit classic with a cast iron facade skin around it.

To be brutaly honest, it looks like its trying to be something its not; that being a real-authentic old fashioned cast iron stove.

Since Bart mentioned that the top loading feature is really not a leak issue, (which I can understand due to the weight of the lid placed on it via gravity), I wonder if the double front doors are more leak prone as opposed to the single door on the Mansfield and the PE Summit classic?.

I am getting VERY close to making a final descision between the big Hearthstone, the Defiant and the PE Summit classic. At this point, it may boil down to brand reputation, and quality of dealer. (Although there is no PE dealer nearby, but at least there is one in the state)...*Thanks BeGreen for that tip!*

If there is anything else you think I should consider among these units, please let me know, and once again.... a big thanks!

Mr S-H, I considered the Defiant when shopping for my last stove;I did and still do find it to be one of the sharpest- looking heaters available.Having said that,I walked away from it after careful inspection of those double doors and the unimpressive fit inish of all that gasketing.All I saw was huge potential for air leakage and high maintenance where a proper seal is imperative.Perhaps that particular unit just needed some tweaking and I was sweating the small stuff,but I'm bent on making my life easier and less worrisome.....that's why I heat with wood.That's my .02,hopefully someone with a newer Defiant will ring in and relate their experience.Oh-FWIW...I used to heat with an XL Dutchwest catylytic stove; It worked pretty well but did teach me a good lesson:The best stove of all is the one that other family members aren't afraid to make use of.

titan:

I know what you mean by buying a simple- lower maint stove. A heating stove seems to be a very pressure (air leak) sensative appliance. The more leaks, the worse it will perform as a result and may possibly overfire....a lot!.

Even though I am a total novice, I have read and understand that with my super high ceilings, I may run the risk of overdrafting (is that a word?) to begin with. If I combine super-drafting along with a air leaky stove, I may end up with a smelter!!, and I'm not looking to having a raging overheating fire all the time, especially since I will be burning a very hot burning-dry wood (pine) to begin with.

BTW, I hope what I am saying actually makes sense because I am just repeating the stuff I have read; I have no real experience yet.

Anyway, should what I said is true, that being:

.high ceilings = overdrafting potential
.multiple stove openings = more air leak potential
.Pine burns very hot and quickly

I may want to reduce my options to two; the big Mansfield or the PE Summit classic.

So now I need to find out if the PE Summit is able to burn long enough to make it through the night. My sleep is VERY important as the chemotherapy I am currently on causes me to be wiped out at times and I really need my sleep.

BTW Titan, your a pretty good lookin' fella!

"I may want to reduce my options to two; the big Mansfield or the PE Summit classic."

I vote summit classic based on aesthtics. The legs on that Mansfield are goofy looking. Totally based on taste. I won a Hearthstone heritage though so I am sold on the soapstone concept. These are two great stoves you have chosen. Very loyal followings.

Highbeam said:
I won a Hearthstone heritage though so I am sold on the soapstone concept. These are two great stoves you have chosen. Very loyal followings.

You "won" that kit stove?

Mr Super Hunky, I normally avoid using the forum as a sales floor, but I've got to speak up here. Your house is made for a Summit, Summit Classic or Alderlea T6 (same firebox). The Summit's 3 cubic foot firebox, coupled with PE's patented Extended Burn Technology, will easily hold a fire for 8-10 hours, even burning pine (we burn mostly fir and alder). Plus, the Summit's 97,000 btu peak output will come in handy with all the cubic area you've got to heat. If you don't have a local dealer, we'll be happy to ship one to you: just return to our website and click the ORDER OR INQUIRE button and fill out our inquiry form, and we'll respond with delivered pricing.

Thanks for the kind words Mr.S-H......but that picture may be misleading...I was wearing my small glasses and I couldn't smile 'cause it was the wife's day to wear the teeth.To get back on topic, P.E. boasts long burn times in their Summit due to their "extended burn technology".You'll find breakdowns on it in old threads both here and @ thechimneysweeponline.No personal experience with it but some regulars here do own 'em and what I've heard sounded encouraging.P.E.'s warranty rates with the best of 'em too.Good luck and let us know what you purchased with pics.

I really like the concept of the soapstone stoves; however, both myself and Mrs Hunky would rather look at "the Phoenix" Hearthstone stove as opposed to the legs of the Mansfield.

The "Duckfeet" as another member referred too them on the Mansfield can take a little getting used to!. I personally think the best looking Hearthstone stove is the "Phoenix".

That said, I can't help but think that Begreen really want me to buy the Mansfield and can back up his reasoning. If he says the PE Summit will burn as long as the Mansfield and be able to heat the entire house (which at 97,000 BTU's, I would think so), I will feel much better.

I'm sorry for being such an anal shopper and stove comparer, but everyone on this forum has been super helpful and hopefully these posts and replies may help out some other "lurkers".

Oh, one more thing, "The chimney sweep guy", you really have a super nice website. It was very helpful in determining options, colors, and specs on the Pacific Energy stoves. You have one, if not THE nicest wood stove websites I have seen.

Titan said:
I was wearing my small glasses and I couldn't smile 'cause it was the wife's day to wear the teeth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's frugal!

SupaHunkee, I don't want to push you into buying any particular stove. My recommendation is based on trying to read between the lines. I don't like the Mansfield feet either, and aesthetically I agree with your opinion. But you have a big barn to heat and need brute force. Personally, I would have gone with a proper masonry heater, especially from your criteria. But that's out now so the big Mansfield is the next best thing. Next choice would be the PE Summit. It is an excellent choice given the prior considerations and one I too am considering, dressed up in the Alderlea irons.

Now as for advice, I don't take of ask for compensation. But if a case of Andrew Will 2001 Red Mountain Ciel du Cheval Vineyard should show up on my doorstep, well.....

All I hope is you hate red, I mean real red, I mean stove red that no one else makes, I mean I hope you hate, PE Whore House Red, because we can't take another.... not one..... not even a copy.... not......no.....

Hey Uncle rich, stove fumes getting a bit much or what???. BTW, if we do get the PE summit Classic, it will be the black one w/ nickel legs and trim.

Mr_Super-Hunky said:
Hey Uncle rich, stove fumes getting a bit much or what???. BTW, if we do get the PE summit Classic, it will be the black one w/ nickel legs and trim.

The nightmares were just starting to go away. It's a forum thing. Kind of like the Red Plague. I don't expect you to understand, but a forum search, on an empty stomach, with a few cold ones along side, and the ability to turn it off, when the going gets bad......

There are wraths on this forum that can melt enamel. Watch for them. If you are going black, you're going with peace.

Stick with the hearth and you will look back at this punning and jesting with fond memories. It really is meant to jerk others chains, but.... come to think about it I haven't burned in a few weeks, maybe I'm going through withdrawal, ya' think?

Love the new avatar Unclerich,what were the names of those two sarcastic old Muppets?Mr. S-H, my Regency is dressed in black cw nickel trim.....that's a sweet-looking combo,but it sure ain't whorehouse red.Maybe I'll paint it with a roller this summer. :cheese:

UncleRich said:
All I hope is you hate red, I mean real red, I mean stove red that no one else makes, I mean I hope you hate, PE Whore House Red, because we can't take another.... not one..... not even a copy.... not......no.....

Where is he these days anyway? I haven't seen any of the PE evangelist around lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.