Vermont Castings Encore 2550 - best replacement catalytic converter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vermonter2011

Jan 25, 2011
USA
I'm reposting this because I had the wrong model number in my original post.

I have a 2010 Vermont Castings Encore 2550. We have no local dealer. The local stove dealer cleaned it, and said that I should probably replace the catalytic converter. I'm seeing all kinds of replacement items on the internet. The service manual for this (which is the 1995 Encore Service Manual - correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that my model matches this revision of the Encore) gives a part number of 30004588. An internet search came up with the number 30006623.

1) Which number is correct?

2) Are the non-OEM versions as good or better? There seem to be many available, some that appear to be too large, even though their listings indicate that they fit this model. The space in the refractory available too hold a catalytic converter is 2-3/8" by 12.75" by 2.25". I replaced the refractory, so it may not match the original that came with the stove.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should replace this with? Any manufacturers that you like best?

This is the cat size you want/
L 13”
W 2 1/2”
H 2”