1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vermont Castings Encore Two in One Reviews for 2011

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Free Monomoy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. nekit

nekit New Member

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    My non scientific answer is they seem to be about the same burn times.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. goldmace

goldmace New Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    I purchased the Encore 2in1 on 9/30/11 afterr owning the Encore 0028 since 1986. I did need to replace the refractory system in old stove and choise to go new insted of payinf $600. After 3 months of Minnesta winter I miss my old stove. The 2/1 can not keep a fire as long and the glass is always dirty, even w very dry white oak. I can see that air comes into the firebox from the secondary intake and has poor primary air flow, resulting in dirty glass and more wood burning faster. My old stove was not perfect, but i do regret not replacing the refractory system myself and getting anouther 20 yrs of good service.
  3. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Nice reviews and great to hear things are improving at VC. The one thing I don't get about the 2 in 1 is when you would ever not want to use the catalyst?

In non cat mode the efficiency and - in theory - heat output is lower and all the flame show is still happening out of view so there doesn't seem to be any benefit.
  4. goldmace

goldmace New Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    I would return the new encore 2/1 if icould, my 3 months of use is v disappointing compared to my 25 yr old Encore model 0028. I'm now using an estimated 40% more wood, always has dirty glass, (why pay top buck and never enjoy viewing a burning fire) and a very poor air feed system that creates large swings in temperture from 500 deg to 800 deg. I also has had. numerous times that the stove has back puffed smoke in the bouse. (Must. be v carefull to not have more than 3 small logs in the firebox at once)
    DON'T BUY IT
  5. Excavator

Excavator Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I am still using my 1988 0028 Encore and just keep the repairs up on it. I follow the threads on the new ones just to see if worth upgrading some day
  6. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    I replaced my encore non cat (5 years old) with a free 0028. I much much prefer the 0028!
    Glass always stays clean, it puts out less heat but it also uses much less wood!
  7. Trilifter7

Trilifter7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Another year down on burning the 2-in-1, what do you guys think of the new design? Are you guys still liking this stove? Any problems or issues?
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This might be marginal draft. I'm wondering if the new 2 n 1 needs a bit more flue than your old 0028? If so, that can be improved. Can you describe the flue system in detail from stove to flue cap?
  9. bobabuoy

bobabuoy Member

Loc:
    IL
    I have had similar issues with my 2n1. I believe I need a taller chimney (only have 15.5 ft). I agree with goldmace about the temperature swings - you have to watch this stove like a hawk. I am going to get a digital display thermometer with alarm so I don't have to get up every 10 minutes to check the temp. I would not buy this stove again.
  10. bobabuoy

bobabuoy Member

Loc:
    IL
    When the cat goes bad, you can save a few buck and not replace immediately. Mines gone bad and now I'm burning non-cat
  11. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Blast from the past.... How did you cat fail in only a couple years? That should be under warranty Is think.
  12. bobabuoy

bobabuoy Member

Loc:
    IL
    chipped/cracked in many places (it's very brittle) and doesn't light off at the low temp like it used to. Guy at the store said they would just claim overfire and deny the warranty claim.
  13. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    How can they prove it? Id still call and try, b/c that's total BS to go bad so fast. Worse that happens is you waste an hour on the phone.
  14. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Don't take the word of the guy at the stove.
  15. Charles1981

Charles1981 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    I took my cracked cat in to my stove guy. They called VC right there. VC told them to take a couple photos just in case, but they didn't even want the cat back to look at it. I took the cat home after they took photos. VC never wanted the photos. They just replaced it. Took about 2 weeks.