Q&A Vermont Castings Gas Stoves- Vented or Ventless ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I was shopping today for a gas stove to replace my wood stove (tired of the cutting). I was recommended the Vermont Castings Stardance model. My room is 15' x 23' with 12' ceiling. I spent the last hour reading all I can on ventless stoves on your site. The ventless stove will save me up to $500.00 bucks- the stove is cheaper than the direct vent and no chimney required. The shop did not have the same model of stove in vented and ventless so I could not compare the look of the flame. I see their brochures list steel tubes for burners in ventless and a "matrix" burner for vented so there must be a different look. what about cost of operation?

Answer:

I've written some articles on ventless stoves- but I'm not an expert.

.Having disqualified myself- here's my take:Vermont Castings makes gorgeous- wonderful products. They are also more expensive than the competition. As always- you need to balance your pocketbook- your aesthetic preferences and the application.I think a direct vent fire has a fuller- more active flame- but this is subjective. The burner material difference is inconsequential.The big question is whether a ventless stove is for you. That's a relatively large room (which is good)- but I don't know how open it is to the rest of the house- what the insulation factor is- or even what region of the country you are in.I am more enthused about lower BTU input ventless stoves (such as the VC) rather than the 40-000 BTU monstrosities. Still- I would spend an hour or two around one that is operating to insure that you are not sensitive to them. Some people complain or headaches- irritated eyes- or the smell- whereas others have no objections.Cost of operation is a function of efficiency. On the surface- the "99.9% efficient" ventless stove is the cheaper to run. However- the true cost is a complex formula that factors in the rate of air exchange- outside temperature and other variables.My guess is the ventless would be slightly cheaper to operate- but both are relatively efficient producers of heat. Just be sure and amortize your costs over ten years. Bottom line: Ask lots of questions of lots of people. Find a dealer you are comfortable with. Rely on their expertise- and pay a slight premium for them to make your life less complicated and more certain. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.