Vermont Castings Intrepid Catalyst Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afptl

Dec 16, 2010
Northern KY
The Vermont Castings Intrepid stove we have is working much better since we sealed up the place in the back with furnace cement. It is actually a different stove! So I have been going over the manual, trying to make sure all is good with the stove. Just want to get the Learning Curve over with!!

So I took the catalytic converter out to vacuum it and just see what it looked like. I took a picture of it. It said Corning Long life 160 2521 on the side. Is this what it is supposed to look like? I noticed a slight bump/bulge in the middle of the metal frame of it. I am assuming from heat. Does this mean it is worn out? I have no idea how old this is, or if it is the original or anything.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? When I vacuumed it, I could feel the air moving through it. So I know it is not blocked up or anything.

Attachments

• catalyst on intrepid Standard e-mail view.jpg
    catalyst on intrepid Standard e-mail view.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 688
excuse the ash mess in the pictures!! Got it all cleaned up now!

Hi Ann, glad you figured out the problem! That cat. of yours looks good, as the "honeycomb" part is all intact; no cracks, no chips, no missing cells. The metal outside part though has sort of warped out on one side. The whole thing SHOULD have a lovely rectangular shape, yours doesn't quite, but don't freak out yet. The thing is that it'll function the way it is and I would use it, as long as it fits back in there w/o damaging the delicate white refractory material. Reason would have it that since it came out, it should go back in- not always the case. Be gentle when putting it back. Remember that buying a new cat. is painful, but it's easy to put in at least. If you hurt that white box in there, it's a MAJOR hassle to replace that bad boy.So if it seems sketchy, maybe buy a new one. Actually it's cool to have a spare on hand if you can. One day, you'll take it out for routine cleaning and it'll be breaking right up, and if it's mid-season; well, you get the picture. Happy Heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.