Vermont Castings Montpelier review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
Ok starting the second season with the Montpelier and I still really like the insert! If you have had some experience with the unit please give your opinion. If you had a bad install that is not the stoves fault so please be fare! A good install includes proper chimney with flue liner and an insulated block off plate at the damper area. Also don't write a review if your wood has not been seasoned buy you for at least a year! Purchased seasoned wood does not count because its not really seasoned!

I used the unit for primary heat and saved about 400 gallons of heating oil. My wood supply was sub par so I did have some blackening on the glass. This year My wood supply is better! I have had 6 fires so far and have not had to clean the glass once. The stove is also much hotter. This is with a small fire due to it being early in the fall! I now split smaller also about 4" average 6" for overnight. On start up I used to keep door cracked open for about 10 minutes. Now I learned to just use some more kindling and I can close door almost immediately! I keep learning more tricks about the insert thanks to this Forum! Anyway lets consolidate our our reviews here. There had been a lot of VC bashing and I think a lot of it has been due to bad installs and wet fire wood! So lets be fare. check out the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6bgkRrelM

I think a lot of the VC bashing was due to their newer line of products and their performances, or lack there of. I've heard bad stories about replacement parts and their customer service dept. Aren't they made in China these days?

I was directing this review towards people that actually have a Montpelier insert! I guess you didnt read my post?

As I've stated in other threads, I am happy with mine. It's been burning for the last couple days straight. Burned here and there for about six weeks after the install last spring, so this will be my first full year with it. Clean glass, white refractory panels, great secondary’s, lots of heat, etc. all with the primary air completely closed after wood load has charred which is about 20 minutes after new fire or 5 minutes after re-load.

Yes, I'm aware it will be costly to replace a refractory panel if one bust's up compared to a fire brick and I am careful not to bang it with tools or splits. I am careful not to open the door hard against the stop as I'm concerned of snapping the cast door frame. This concern may also apply to other stoves and inserts.

I'm sure they all have there plusses and minuses, but I really am satisfied with my Montpelier and I am very pleased with it.

Steve

mellow said:
Nice video, but all I could think of was.. bueller.. bueller

Oh my god i sound like the teacher from "Farris Buellers day off" Thanks alot just when I thought I was getting old! Now im boring too! AAHHH!

This is my first year with the Montpelier I sold a Buck 21 to upgrade to the VC. The Buck 21 was just a little small 18" log maximum. So far I am very pleased with the VC, I have a single family rancher and the stove is in the finished basement, inserted into an exterior wall chimney. I have not made a block off plate yet but I do have a full 6" SS linear running to it. The amount of wood you can put the stove is adequate for a long over night burn. Again it also depends on the type of wood. Most people who have trouble or poor heat output I can bet it is due to poor unseasoned wood. The stove looks as great as it performs. I have the Mead surround and it looks great. Yesterday the house was st 65* after the stove heated up the house was 75* two hours later not bad for a cold Oct. night outside temp. was around 49*. The real test will be in the middle of winter, but I also have about 7-8 cords of well season wood so I am ready. The stove cost me 2000.00 with the surround since bought a display model never burned in just sat on the floor and I installed myself since the linear was there from my first stove. I actually made money selling my Buck and buying the VC after the tax rebate. :) This stove is a nice stove nothing to worry about.

allhandsworking said:
I was directing this review towards people that actually have a Motpelier insert! I guess you didnt read my post?
Your post said if you have had some experience with. My experience was through my research and most signs pointed to stay away from VC and the reasons why. Seems like yours has got you in a grumpy mood already.

mxvet747 said:
Looks like a great insert. Does it give off a decent amount of heat??

I only use my central heating when I was away on work ! My wife is not confidant yet to use it. I went from over 1k gallons heating oil to about 200 so I would say yes! I have a 1800 sft home central chimney with good insulation and half of my windows updated! When very cold out my living room is in the 70s upstairs around 68! When I cleaned my chimney this summer I had about a cup of creosote. I may skip sweeping next summer because my wood supply is better seasoned.

WOW I put two 6" oak splits super seasoned on about 1/2 hour ago and cant keep my hand within 1' of the blower vent! Super hot! I didn't want to use any of my oak yet but couldn't wait! fan on about half way, air 3/4 closed! I didn't have any prim seasoned wood, especially Oak last year so this is new!

mxvet747 said:
This guy is a VC hater, don't let it ruin your day..
I was just busting chops cause he got all flustered about my post. I dont hate VC at all. My uncle has one in his cabin that I love. I just heard some negative stories about the way the company has been heading. They were my first choice for my last stove until I did some more researching and decided on a Jotul. Best of luck with the stoves.

logger said:
mxvet747 said:
I was just busting chops cause he got all flustered about my post. I dont hate VC at all. My uncle has one in his cabin that I love. I just heard some negative stories about the way the company has been heading. They were my first choice for my last stove until I did some more researching and decided on a Jotul. Best of luck with the stoves.

Boy you don't let up do you! How did I get flustered? I have actually been ignoring you! But here goes. Your comments are incorrect. Starting with Vermont casting being built in china! Jotul.. isn't it built in Norway? You know the country that nominated a man for the Nobel Piece prize who's only contribution to peace is stapling fliers to telephone poles and being President for 11 days!

Aren't there any threads about Jotuls you can disrupt!

logger said:
mxvet747 said:

They would have been my top choice too, I think VC has some of the best looking stoves out hands down

allhandsworking said:
logger said:
mxvet747 said:

Boy you don't let up do you! How did I get flustered? I have actually been ignoring you! But here goes. Your comments are incorrect. Starting with Vermont casting being built in china! Jotul.. isn't it built in Norway? You know the country that nominated a man for the Nobel Piece prize who's only contribution to peace is stapling fliers to telephone poles and being President for 11 days!

You aren't the posting cop around here. I am. It is a public forum. Let's keep it civil and the politics in The Ash Can.

logger said:
I think a lot of the VC bashing was due to their newer line of products and their performances, or lack there of. I've heard bad stories about replacement parts and their customer service dept. Aren't they made in China these days?

The VC rep I talked to today told me Vermont. He went into detail on the plant so I doubt he was lying.

VC stoves are in fact still made in Vermont.

Reactions: mtnhiker70
BrotherBart said:
allhandsworking said:
logger said:
mxvet747 said:

You aren't the posting cop around here. I am. It is a public forum. Let's keep it civil and the politics in The Ash Can.

I don't want to be a posting cop! Thanks for getting involved! I mearly wanted peoples opinions on the VC Montpelier, an educated opinion from people who have a montpelier. There are a lot of Jotel owners that like to bash VC. There are other threads specifically for that as you know. The montpelier is a new product that deserves a far shake! I am trying to have a helpfull thread here for the readers. Good or bad if it is from someone that has a montpelier it will be good info for everyone. Isn't that the whole purpose of this site!

Concerning the refractory issue, its a non issue in my book.. I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale, going on my second one in fact, and the soapstone refractory lines the firebox. I'm not sure how expensive a replacement stone would be but can imagine it would be a great deal more compared to the popcorn bricks that line some stoves..

So I am very careful when loading and working the fire. Every material has inherent strength and weakness. For soapstone the strength being high heat storage and weakness being prone to cracking if handled hard. When I was last in to visit my local dealer the Clydesdale floor sample had a cracked side soapstone. Broke in 2 pieces.. Turns out it broke when they were putting the thing together and the stone fell over. It seems to be common sense, if its fragile, Handle it with care..

bren582 said:
Concerning the refractory issue, its a non issue in my book.. I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale, going on my second one in fact, and the soapstone refractory lines the firebox. I'm not sure how expensive a replacement stone would be but can imagine it would be a great deal more compared to the popcorn bricks that line some stoves..

So I am very careful when loading and working the fire. Every material has inherent strength and weakness. For soapstone the strength being high heat storage and weakness being prone to cracking if handled hard. When I was last in to visit my local dealer the Clydesdale floor sample had a cracked side soapstone. Broke in 2 pieces.. Turns out it broke when they were putting the thing together and the stone fell over. It seems to be common sense, if its fragile, Handle it with care..

WE had a prefab fireplace with refractory lining. It had cracks in the 1970s and still had cracks in the 1990s it worked fine!

Here is another video. I made pizza in the insert last night. It came out perfect! better that my GE. Pizza likes high heat. The crust was nice and crispy. If you make your own pizza try it. The kids loved it and the wife thought I was nuts as usual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYjfsD5Kv3M

Ok here we go, got the break in stuff out of the way. Last night night had the first real attempt at heating. With a thermometer on the top of the door arch it ran about 300. The glass stays clean and the bottom floor of the house is around 70. The fan noise is very acceptable. So far I like this insert. When I was running it at lower temps for break in the glass did get a little dirty.
:coolsmile:

jrandall said:
Ok here we go, got the break in stuff out of the way. Last night night had the first real attempt at heating. With a thermometer on the top of the door arch it ran about 300. The glass stays clean and the bottom floor of the house is around 70. The fan noise is very acceptable. So far I like this insert. When I was running it at lower temps for break in the glass did get a little dirty.
:coolsmile:

Hey coolsmile 300 on the door means your burning somewhere in the 400 to 500 range at the insert top! One of the other posters keeps his thermometer in the right heat exhaust port might be more accurate? Its tough though with flush insert, no place to put thermometer! Do you have your smoke detector and CO detector! Sorry Im a firefighter!

Get that baby crankin tonight!

Can't We All Just Get Along? :) ;-)

We all love the stoves we bought...thats why we bought them.
And we all have the right to post to any subject. That's what makes this forum and America
a great place to live. Just smile and play nice! :cheese:
Love my Jotul and my Hearthstone! We are all just a happy bunch of Pyros! :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.