VERMONT CASTINGS PARTS???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

augerin

Oct 5, 2008
Mi
Where is a good place to buy parts ( on the Web or store ) for rebuilding Vermont Castings wood stoves??

Which model and year stove? For ours, no. We didn't find anything that was proprietary or much in resale. If it's something that can be fabricated my husband might be able to help. Email me with pics if you can.

I have a Defiant Encore model #0028 and need the whole fireback section including the refactory part ?? I understand a Fireback kit is available (#5925)? Looking to buy it because parting it out is about $800.00! Thanks,Tom

I've bought from Black Swan. Very quick turnaround on the order & good service.

Several folks have recommended www.discountstove.com, but the shipping from them to here
in NY was too much. However, I see you are in MI, and the are up in Traverse City. So, maybe
it would work out? Shop around and compare.

You got to do your homework. When I was shopping for a fireback kit for my 0028 Encore, all he mailorder "discount' stove part shops were more expensive than one of the local dealers, plus one of them said the kit didn't exist anymore and tried to sell me individual parts. Ouch!

Odd thing, when I called around for prices, all of them insisted they were charging me no more than list, but prices varied by dramatically between shops. So I concluded they were all padding the list price. I'm in NH, but ended up buying in VT as there was a shop there that seemed especially knowledgeable on VC issues, and even with sales tax was still cheaper. BTW one actually swore the parts were not available anymore, without making any effort to make sure.

I'm going off to pick up the fireback kit soon as I finish writng this. Fingers crossed, as always these days when dealing with VC. I don't really need the whole kit, but it was cheaper to buy it than just the parts I needed..

I agree about shopping around, I looked at Black Swan and a few others, but this time of year availability of parts was a little tough. I paid a bit more, and bought from a local stove dealer. But I knew the part would be there when I needed it. If you only need upper or lower firebacks though, you may want to consider purchasing them individually, the "kit" was priced between $450-$600 depending on the source. I only bought the upper fireback and combustion throat hood, which was all I needed for now.

I rebuilt this stove about 10yrs ago and prices are about double what they were then!! I understand this but am trying to look for best deal that is available. Your right about run around and padding not to mention most of these people don't have any idea how to rebuild a stove---just sell a new one. We run this stove 24-7 and it works just fine--things just wear out, so you need to do maintenance. Thanks for all your replys and help. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.